Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:15 AM

8 posts, read 25,852 times

Advertisements

Is there such a thing? In the midwest we have lots of streets with houses some have sidewalks some don't. But then you have neighborhoods or what we call subdivisions with their own name, sometimes an association fee a shared pool or park ect. Usually they are more than 10 houses (or up to 500) sometimes the same builder sometimes not. They are not all new construction, just a neighborhood feel, kids play in the cul-de-sac after school or in the summer, parents share a drink, moms help each other out, sometimes the houses are really close together sometimes they have 1/2 acre. Women have a neighborhood cookie exchange, Dads play poker ect. There are sidewalks! I know when you move to a new place you can meet people in the newcomers club, sports the PTA, but in reality on a day to day basis, having other close by neighbors is what keeps you sane (those of us w/ kids and staying home) When you can just open your door and there is someone there for you kids to play with or someone to chat with is better than having to drive across town to socialize w/ someone you met in the PTA.
If you live in a great neighborhood like this (or street) or have a friend or relative that does (in a good school disctrict) don't care which town in Westchester County can you tell me the name of it! I am looking in the 1 to 1.5 mill range. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 12:40 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
They have 'em. But I wouldn't live in one.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:07 PM

8 posts, read 25,852 times
Why not? What's wrong with sidewalks and people being neighborly, especially for a transplant? Have to go where the job goes, doesn't mean it's easy to adjust. Close by neighbors as opposed to living on 5 acres or amongst private people works for me. Would love to hear more opinions. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2008, 02:13 PM

100 posts, read 530,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebound View Post
Why not? What's wrong with sidewalks and people being neighborly, especially for a transplant? Have to go where the job goes, doesn't mean it's easy to adjust. Close by neighbors as opposed to living on 5 acres or amongst private people works for me. Would love to hear more opinions. Thanks!
I lived in Westchester for my entire life up until five months ago and I worked in a realty office for quite a while. I hope the advice I offer you is helpful.

Subdivisions exist in Westchester but they are not as prevalent there as they are in some other areas of the country.

And here's the key. With 1-1.5 Mil as your budget you don't need to live in one. With that kind of bread you can get a great house in a great neighborhood where you'll meet lots of people. And even with that kind of money its not going to be on five acres of land. And remember this; taxes are a bear in Westchester County so if you get a house for 800K you can stash a some away for that purpose.

I can't mention realtor names on this board or I would give you the name of my old boss. They deal with Northern Westchester. You can PM me if interested. I was not a realtor but an office worker so I have no vested interest.

Try Somers, Yorktown Heights, Katonah/Lewisboro, Chappaqua (thats where the Clintons live), Scarsdale, Rye, Mamaroneck, Larchmont, Cortlandt Manor, Croton-On-Hudson.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:18 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebound View Post
Why not? Because I want people to mind their own business, not mine. They shouldn't have the right to dictate what color curtains I have in my window, whether I've cut my grass frequently enough, etc, etc. I like the fact that I can't see anyone else from our house in Westchester. I have lots of neighbors all around my apartment in the city, thank you. I don't need tons of people around me or hokey 'welcoming committees.'

Old 05-15-2008, 08:02 PM

103 posts, read 448,426 times
In my area (Northern Westchester) there are few Toll Brothers developments that stand out - Somers Chase (in Somers), Salem Chase (North Salem), Cortlandt Chase (Cortlandt Manor) to name a few. All of these have similar style homes priced between $900,000 and about $1,250,000; and offer community pools, tennis courts etc. Yes, there is a monthly charge for that. There are also developments that have a name and homes are built in similar style, but without community centers/pools/etc (and no common charges). Twin Knolls in Katonah is one of those (houses are more expensive there though - $1.5M to $1.8M).
By the way, most of those developments don't have sidewalks, but that doesn't stop people from socializing and kids from playing on cul-de-sacs.
In general, in Westchester there are not as many sub-divisions as in other parts of the country, but lots of friendly neighborhoods where you and your kids will feel quite happy.
Good luck in your search!

Old 05-18-2008, 01:26 PM

148 posts, read 878,138 times
There are some in Harrison and New Rochelle I believe, but I don't know their names a realtor in the area will most likely know their names.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:59 AM
K&F

40 posts, read 168,014 times
Default Not for me!

I live in Virginia, and Virginia is FULL of those type of subdivisions. except here, no one socializes except the stay at home moms during the day because they're bored while their kids are at school. most everyone comes home in their gigantic SUV, parks and goes straight into the house. they leave the house to shuttle their perfect little kids to every outside activity they can imagine - soccer, dance, baseball, etc. I find living in a planned subdivision makes people more exclusionary, not inclusionary, and this is exactly the type of thing I'm looking to escape!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:57 AM

178 posts, read 667,261 times
We do have some subdivisions here, we have lots of neighborhoods.

People often socialize with their kids friends parents or people they meet in different venues, not just the neighborhood.

Great areas...
Bronxville, Scarsdale, Irvington, Dobbs Ferry, White Plains, Rye, Rye Brook, Larchmont,Valhalla, Thornwood, Hawthorne, Pleasantville and Chappaqua are just a few.

You need to talk to lots of people and investigate school reports.com.

Find a good Realtor that knows the area.

All the best!

Kevin O'Shea

Old 05-20-2008, 02:10 PM

309 posts, read 765,696 times
Another subdivision in Somers is The Preserve. Houses are in the $800K to $1M range on lots from 1/2 to 1.25 acres. No sidewalks, no community pool, but lots of families and lots of socializing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County