Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2021, 11:04 PM

56 posts, read 59,192 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the north of Westchester with our 3 kids.
My son is 9 nonverbal and severely autistic, needs 1:1 ABA therapy.

We are considering towns in Bergen NJ as well as Bucks county PA. We used to live in Scarsdale Westchester and the services were amazing. We are on a different budget with a larger family now and think New York state may just be a better fit than NJ or PA.

NY is considerably more expensive but may just be worth it.

Could anyone please share what the school districts are like in terms of placing autistic children out of district if that is what the child needs?

The autism factor along with our max of 1.5M budget will be the deciding factor for out move. I know when my son is older the services in NY are great. But at the moment we are willing to pay the NY premium as long as the services for my kiddo are appropriate.

Would highly appreciate some insight.
My son is non verbal and not high functioning.

Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 11:46 PM

389 posts, read 398,886 times
BOCES (Board of Cooperative Educational Services) is a public organization geared towards providing additional resources for local schools. They have built up their company to the point where they have their own high school in Jefferson Valley. You might be able to enroll, I am not sure what is their policy now.

https://disabled.westchestergov.com/...-served/autism

https://www.wswheboces.org/apps/page...REC_ID=2111960

https://www.pnwboces.org/Special-Edu...adow-Home.aspx

To answer your other question, I am not sure what they (Katonah, Bedford, Pound Ridge, Chappaqua) have going on. You might want to check with each school to see what they offer.

Old 09-25-2021, 11:49 PM

Thank you that is very helpful !!

Old 09-26-2021, 12:05 AM

So it goes directly to BOCES rather than the school district deciding what to do with my kiddo?

Old 09-26-2021, 12:21 AM

Where are you coming from? Currently West Windsor NJ (lived in Florida and Scarsdale Westchester NY before)
Why are you moving? For a more diverse demographic, better proximity to NYC and closer to friends.
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? 5th avenue, near grand central

Will you buy or rent? buy
What is your budget ? max 1.5m
What kind of place are you looking for ? best schools, great autism services, welcoming to newcomers

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? 3 kids, one with autism Ages 8 9 and 12
Do you need/want good public schools?

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in suburban large home with large garden, friendly neightborhood
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
schools, autism services and urban feel

Old 09-26-2021, 03:15 PM

389 posts, read 398,886 times
Each school is different. Some work with BOCES to host students, while other school programs have learning facilities strictly for students with disabilities.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:38 PM

8 posts, read 6,033 times
Katonah-Lewisboro was great for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County