Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,924 times

Advertisements

My family and I are currently living in South Carolina, but we are moving in August so that I may attend grad school at Sarah Lawrence...
We have a tight budget, and a five-year-old son, so my question is, what area would be the best for my family?
We've researched a lot of areas, including the Bronx, Yonkers, Bronxville, White Plains, Jersey City, etc. but I still can't figure out which area would be best.
I do not mind a commute, but do not want a terrible hassle every morning...
Any suggestions?
Also, I noticed that there were lots of public Montessori schools in Yonkers, does anyone have any info or advice about that?
Thanks!

Last edited by missveekay; 05-15-2008 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: left out a word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Be real careful about public schools in Yonkers. Its a mixed bag at best.

Your main issue is going to find a cheap place to rent. If you could get on-campus housing that would probably be ideal.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:22 PM

33 posts, read 152,846 times
Rents in the NY area are much, much higher than in SC. Sarah Larwence is in Yonkers (even though they like to advertise that they are in Bronxville as many areas in Yonkers have a Bronxville PO) and I think as far as rents go you could find competitive prices in the Yonkers area. Just look in East Yonkers. There are lots of co-op buildings on Bronx River Road and Kimball Avenue - maybe you could find a rental there and it is a very short drive to Sarah Lawrence. Bronxville is a very, very expensive area. White Plains is very up and coming and the rental prices could be on the rise because the area has improved so much. The Bronx will probably cost you just as much as Yonkers. I don't know what your budget is, but if it was me, I would look at rental prices in East Yonkers first.

With respect to the Yonkers public schools, your 5 year old will be absolutely fine in any Yonkers school at his age. It's usually after grammar school that the school system can be a concern. There are several great schools. Hawthorne Pearls is a gifted program that I believe is Blue Ribbon. The student needs to be tested and accepted into the program. It's not in the greatest part of the city, but the program is well regarded. One of my kids went there for pre-k. The montesorri schools are a great option, but they are hard to get into. They all have a very good reputation. Another one of my children went to Montessori School 11 for pre-k. I thought it was a great program. This school is right off Bronx River Road, where there are lots of apartment buildings and perhaps rentals. I have friends who have sent their grammar school aged children to their neighbood public schools in Yonkers and I have never heard a complaint. People seem very happy with the programs.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:36 PM

33 posts, read 152,846 times
I just looked on craigs list for rental prices and most are more than my monthly mortgage!

Perhaps Sarah Lawrence has a housing dept. that can steer you toward reasonaly priced rentals for students, but in NY I honestly have never heard of reasonably priced rentals!!

You may want to look at Fleetwood in Mount Vernon - although these schools have a very bad reputation - or look at the Woodlawn section of the Bronx or the Morris Park Section of the Bronx (near Williamsbridge Road).

Old 05-18-2008, 07:14 PM

506 posts, read 2,280,259 times
just a reminder all sarah lawrence is one of the most expensive schools in the UNITED STATES.....................p.s. i would look in woodlawn...............5 min commute great public school................

Old 05-18-2008, 10:23 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester View Post
just a reminder all sarah lawrence is one of the most expensive schools in the UNITED STATES.....................p.s. i would look in woodlawn...............5 min commute great public school................
Yeah right. Talk about a culture shock. South Carolina to Woodlawn? I'm kind of not seeing that one work out well.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:06 AM

178 posts, read 667,490 times
Maybe you should look at co-ops - it will be sticker shock, but at least some equity

All the best!

Kevin O'Shea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County