Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 09:31 AM

56 posts, read 59,361 times

Advertisements

Hi we used to live in Scarsdale where my son first got diagnosed with autism, he is now 9, we are looking to move back to NY or north Jersey.
Does anyone have a low functioning non verbal autistic child in any of the north Westchester schools? And does anyone have a child that was placed out of district by any of the schools, like in to a private school or public out of district school?

I know there is Hawthorne that goes up to 21 but don't know of any other specialized schools with ABA for autistic kids anywhere in Westchester for kids aged 9 and above.

We are planning to buy a house and would really like some feedback. We would love to pay the NY premium in the schools fairly place the kids if required.

Any parents of older children please do give us feedback as well on services till 21 or even after.

Thank you

Highly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 02:28 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I thought I’ve read in the past that Ardsley has good programs, but it isn’t in northern Westchester. Hopefully, someone will offer more specific information.

Old 10-10-2021, 02:41 PM

Thanks

Yeah we used to live in scarsdale and they are good about sendind kids out of district because my son is very severe, I wonder if the northern towns will send him out too.
I don't want to get stuck buying a house and then find out they cant help him.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:03 PM

42 posts, read 36,960 times
Have you spoken with the school he is at ?
Often times the social workers there will know which district are easier and which are not
Also if it is a clear cut case almost all district will .
However district like Scarsdale and chappaqua are more expensive and typically willing to send out.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm777 View Post
Have you spoken with the school he is at ?
Often times the social workers there will know which district are easier and which are not
Also if it is a clear cut case almost all district will .
However district like Scarsdale and chappaqua are more expensive and typically willing to send out.
Thank you. I think that is what I needed to hear. He is a clear cut case, unfortunately low functioning, non verbal and unless redirected with strict ABA extremely distracted and hyper active.

We are in Princeton NJ right now, not sure if the social workers around will know much about Westchester.

What you are saying is true for most school districts, the high tax expensive districts generally are easier in processing parent request to send out..

Would love to hear any first hand experiences

Old 10-11-2021, 08:03 PM

Ohh u are in NJ …
I know Lakeland school district has a good rep..
Chappaqua will def send out the child guaranteed - if money is not a constraint I suggest renting in chappaqua and see how things go . You could also ask Facebook group - special need parents of westchester and ask for suggestions
Invariably ardsley, chappaqua ( out of district ) and Scarsdale ( out of district ) are mentioned

I am in tarrytown and the district is quite hard to fight , won’t advise to come here.
My son is all of the above and yet in district, the present teacher seems good but I did not have a great experience the past 2 years .
Most districts I have noticed want to keep in district unless the child is aggressive

Is north jersey - Bergen .. I heard services are good, no personal experience

Old 10-12-2021, 08:04 PM

Yes I have heard great things about Bergen NJ. We probably will not move again for years to come so just want to end up in NY. I like the self directed budget that is available for people with autism in NY. Not sure how it works in NJ and if that budget is very good or easy to get. Also when he turns 21 and I know that is more than a good decade away, NY law at this point in time is more in favor of the parents and autistic child / adult than NJ.

Otherwise NJ has treated my son very well so far. It is just a very far commute for work. We are looking in to Bergen as well. But if if we are that close to NY we may as well jump the border.
House price wise the 'good' school district seem to have similar priced homes in Bergen as well as Westchester with north Westchester offering larger plots and home for the same price tag.

If anyone else has any information to share NJ vs NY for autism child or adult, I would be very interested to hear it.
On paper all states look similar, but having lived in Florida I can tell you that in a real life scenario some states are just so much easier to navigate with an autistic child now and in the future.

Thank you all

Old 12-02-2021, 07:36 PM

51 posts, read 49,868 times
My son is older now (21) he went to the Hawthorne Country Day School in Pleasantville , Next to Gate of Heaven Cemetery it was a very good school.

Old 12-04-2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyD7115 View Post
My son is older now (21) he went to the Hawthorne Country Day School in Pleasantville , Next to Gate of Heaven Cemetery it was a very good school.
I visited Hawthorne when my son turned 4..we decided to put him in fred s keller but yeah i can see how that is a good school for older kids..i remember they had a pool and a 21 plus program too..
Thank you

Old 12-06-2021, 12:21 PM

There is a special needs parents of westchester group on Facebook - please search for it and u can post there and see what answers u get .
Hawthorne has had a lot of changes , from my understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County