Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2021, 12:58 PM

11 posts, read 10,841 times

Advertisements

What would the everyday feel be like between these two towns. Is there a big difference in the day to day.

I grew up in Katonah and always loved Katonah on route 22 or Bedford. We have two kids 4 and 2 and will use the public schools most likely. Wife is from NYC and we live in Darien right now but just sold our house. I know taxes are higher. Looking in the 1.2-1.4 range in both towns. Seems like the market is slowing down per real estate agents, some say its going crazy- who knows. We really like the Indian Hill area in Bedford or Guard Hill/Bisbee. Not sure if we could find something but will look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 03:29 PM

307 posts, read 631,869 times
To me, Bedford is much more under the radar than New Canaan. There is similarity with respect to the economic demographics, but New Canaan screams upper middle-class stepford, whereas Bedford has more of a low key vibe.

For example, you could be standing behind a billionaire at a coffee shop in Bedford and not even know it.. Whereas in New Canaan everyone drives a mercedes or Range Rover.. (Maybe a bit of a generalization, but this has been my experience anyway)

New Canaan also has a much more developed downtown, but Bedford has better access to NYC.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:30 AM

Thank you, Neil. My wife is concerned with activities for the kids - 4 and 2. Preschool. Kindergarten. Dance. The whole thing. I assume the town has all of this via Bedford Hills or Katonah but it is not obvious when you drive around. Would they have all the activities that a New Canaan would have. By the way, I agree with you. Thats why Ralph lives there- understated elegance. Not in your face.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:38 AM

971 posts, read 1,379,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDAD View Post
Thank you, Neil. My wife is concerned with activities for the kids - 4 and 2. Preschool. Kindergarten. Dance. The whole thing. I assume the town has all of this via Bedford Hills or Katonah but it is not obvious when you drive around. Would they have all the activities that a New Canaan would have. By the way, I agree with you. Thats why Ralph lives there- understated elegance. Not in your face.
No where in Westchester County is there a lack of access to any activity for children. Some places you may have to drive a bit more to it (and drive a bit more to everything - groceries, gas, pharmacy), but if you can dream up the activity, I am fairly certain it exists.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:32 PM

Thanks. If you live in Bedford, where do the kids do dance, soccer, whatever? Is it family oriented place or is it laid back hidden houses with not a real sense of community? I know its country looking and horsey, but can one raise kids there or better off in katonah, ridgefield, new canaan?

Old 12-14-2021, 03:16 PM

971 posts, read 1,379,581 times
Quote:
Thanks. If you live in Bedford, where do the kids do dance, soccer, whatever? Is it family oriented place or is it laid back hidden houses with not a real sense of community? I know its country looking and horsey, but can one raise kids there or better off in katonah, ridgefield, new canaan?
As you can imagine, some of what you are asking is akin to asking "is it cold there?" The answer is, it depends on what you mean by cold.

For some people, a real sense of community, especially for families with kids, denotes a place where the kids can walk to each others houses (mostly), walk into and about town, walk to the HS for games and events, people see each other out and about, etc. You are not getting that in Fox Lane or John Jay as far as I can tell. But it seems to reason that there are other ways to skin a cat when it comes to "a real sense of community", and the people there probably make it work. It just means you are driving little Johnny to his friends house instead of him riding his bike.

I know nothing about dance. For soccer and other youth sports, just google it and stuff will come up to get you started. Use search terms like Bedford, Katonah, Fox Lane, John Jay etc. There is a youth lacrosse program for each school district (not run by the district, just one in each district), and there are certainly little leagues, and youth soccer leagues. For hockey many kids will play with the Bedford Bears out of the rink at the Harvey School. It's all there. There is a program for all areas of Westchester for all sports.

For me Bedford, Katonah, Ridgefield and New Canaan are 99% the same thing. The two CT towns will have some CT specific differences, and Bedford properties are mostly in a SD (Fox Lane) that has a lot of hispanic/lower income families, but the similarities are way more numerous than the differences I think.

Old 12-14-2021, 04:10 PM

307 posts, read 631,869 times
Quote:
Each Hamlet in Bedford has its own soccer program at the village park. They play on Saturdays in spring/fall.

Dance studio would be next door in Mt Kisco (5-10 min drive) , which has a large downtown area with lots of other amenities

(and yes, of course there's a sense of community in Bedford.)

Old 12-15-2021, 06:12 AM

Thank you guys! Big help.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:49 PM

784 posts, read 554,851 times
We lived in both Weston and Wilton for many years before moving out west. Our family has very fond memories of living in rural CT. Except for one thing. Driving. Every place the kids went required lots of driving. In CA you can sit in your car in traffic but in CT you are driving twenty minutes one way and twenty minutes back. With three kids to chauffeur around it got old after awhile.

Think of those kids when they are old enough to drive and navigating dark, hilly roads in the wintertime.

Bedford is quieter than New Canaan and I love the village green. Good luck with your choice!

Old 12-18-2021, 03:45 PM

we lived in California too -2014-2018. Loved it. I totally understand what you are saying- i love driving so no problem there.

Do you all think the people will be nicer and friendlier in Bedford than Darien/New Canaan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: