Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 09:30 PM

4 posts, read 7,344 times

Advertisements

We’re considering switching our sons to Hastings schools and would like some opinions. I’d appreciate insight from anyone whose kids are in or have gone through the system.

Do HoH schools tend to teach to the top, bottom or middle? How do they do with kids who are gifted or need extra support?

What are the teachers like in elementary/middle/high school - We’ve heard some are great and some are just clocking in, what’s the breakdown between the two types?

How do they teach writing in middle and high school?

Is it hard for students to get into AP classes if they want?

How is their college counseling and do graduates feel prepared when they get to college or is it a big adjustment? How do they do with college placements.

How do HoH schools compare with other Westchester school districts like Ardsley, Irvington, Scarsdale, Edgemont, Chappaqua, Briarcliff, Larchmont? We know they are all good, and have seem the ratings, but we are are trying to understand the differences.

We’ve spent enough time to know we really like the community. Our big questions are around schools.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 11:04 PM

389 posts, read 398,886 times
Hastings is ranked #258 in the country. https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-13743

The student-teacher ratio is listed there.

For living reasons, Hastings is pleasant to the eye because it is on the water and charming. Good aspects if living there is having the proximity to the Saw Mill Parkway and 30 minutes from Manhattan (without traffic.)

I grew up in Chappaqua which is highly academically ranked and competitive. I am in my 30s now. 15 years ago, when I went to school, Chappaqua was like a gold rush town in a sense that people wanted their kids to go there because of how it looked applying to schools and how admissions offices would perceive their kids. That is why a lot of people moved to Chappaqua. My family moved me there when I was ten. I definitely noticed kids were much focused on getting good grades and studying in Advanced Placement classes. Now, Horace Greeley High School is ranked 23rd in the state and 195 nationally. The school has at least twice the amount of kids than Hastings.

https://www.google.com/search?q=west...UwdAy8fNdtaj1M

This map might help.

One more thing. A lot of high schools these days have alternative learning programs. Students can choose to be apart of that. If you choose that program, you will be away from the main campus for learning. For example, Scarsdale has the Scarsdale Alternative School. This is for students who take a more proactive and hands on approach to their learning experience as opposed to traditional studies. In places like that, you would study math and science one semester, and English and social studies the next.

Last edited by globetrekker96; 02-15-2022 at 11:13 PM..

Old 03-11-2022, 07:39 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,095 times
Both of my sons go to Hastings' schools: One is at Hillside (elementary), and the other is at Farragut (middle school). The schools each have their strengths. Hillside is focused more on the "whole self" style of education, which is valuable. The downside is that the "hard sciences" (math, etc.) are less focused-upon. When my older son transitioned from Hillside to Farragut in the fifth grade, it was difficult for him initially. All the sudden he had piles of homework, and the teaching was more stringent. That being said, he is now in eight grade and doing just fine. Our younger son is thriving at Hillside.
Most Hastings graduates go on to college (I'm not sure of the exact percentage, but it is surely in the high 90% range), and those who I know are doing fine. Some have gone on to highly selective schools, while others went to larger, less-selective schools.
They do teach writing in middle and high school. There are also writing-related electives available.
I think the main differences at Hastings as compared to some area towns are: 1. Size. It is a relatively small school system, and you get to know the teachers and administrators well; and 2. Lower levels of competition. I know families in Scarsdale and Irvington, which are both very nice places, but the schools are quite competitive. Hastings is definitely "artsier" or even "quirkier" in everyday life, and the schools somewhat reflect that. So, it really depends on what you are looking for.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:48 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
Hastings is ranked #258 in the country. https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-13743

The student-teacher ratio is listed there.

For living reasons, Hastings is pleasant to the eye because it is on the water and charming. Good aspects if living there is having the proximity to the Saw Mill Parkway and 30 minutes from Manhattan (without traffic.)

I grew up in Chappaqua which is highly academically ranked and competitive. I am in my 30s now. 15 years ago, when I went to school, Chappaqua was like a gold rush town in a sense that people wanted their kids to go there because of how it looked applying to schools and how admissions offices would perceive their kids. That is why a lot of people moved to Chappaqua. My family moved me there when I was ten. I definitely noticed kids were much focused on getting good grades and studying in Advanced Placement classes. Now, Horace Greeley High School is ranked 23rd in the state and 195 nationally. The school has at least twice the amount of kids than Hastings.

https://www.google.com/search?q=west...UwdAy8fNdtaj1M

This map might help.

One more thing. A lot of high schools these days have alternative learning programs. Students can choose to be apart of that. If you choose that program, you will be away from the main campus for learning. For example, Scarsdale has the Scarsdale Alternative School. This is for students who take a more proactive and hands on approach to their learning experience as opposed to traditional studies. In places like that, you would study math and science one semester, and English and social studies the next.
" Now, Horace Greeley High School is ranked 23rd in the state and 195 nationally."

There is a direct correlation between wealth and ranking. Westchester Magazine just ranked all the high schools. Guess which schools are the "best?" other than Chappaqua. The usual suspects - Bronxville, Scarsdale, Byram Hills, Blind Brook, a couple of others.

To choose Chappaqua over Hastings (not nearly as wealthy) because of so-called ratings is insane.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:02 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
" Now, Horace Greeley High School is ranked 23rd in the state and 195 nationally."

There is a direct correlation between wealth and ranking. Westchester Magazine just ranked all the high schools. Guess which schools are the "best?" other than Chappaqua. The usual suspects - Bronxville, Scarsdale, Byram Hills, Blind Brook, a couple of others.

To choose Chappaqua over Hastings (not nearly as wealthy) because of so-called ratings is insane.
There is also a direct correlation between wealth (of families) and quality of school experience.

Old 03-21-2022, 06:39 PM

75 posts, read 108,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post

I TOTALLY AGREE. It is insane. It's only wealth that determines the rankingsl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County