U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 05:10 PM

295 posts, read 1,409,089 times

Advertisements

We are moving to a temp place in Westchester & looking to settle down... and thus, trying to get to know the areas.

How is the sub-community of Edgewood in Scarsdale?

I've heard it is "working" and "family" scarsdale...that WILL describe us. Schools seem to be excellent...properties seem to be a bit smaller & taxes correspondingly lower.

How does this translate into heterogeneity of the population?
Are there a mix of ethnicity & religious background?

Thank you in advance for ANY comments...bring the good & bad pls!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 06:25 PM

131 posts, read 747,094 times
Default Edgewood

I grew up in Edgewood and went back to live there with my own family--we just moved from there to upstate NY to be nearer to my husband's family.
You've described Edgewood quite accurately. Actually, Edgewood is divided into two neighborhoods, Arthur Manor and Drake/Edgewood--those are the two neighborhood associations--although both go to the Edgewood Elementary school. Arthur Manor is basically the part of Edgewood that is closer to Eastchester--from approximately Davis Park (Carman Road) down to the Eastchester border. The houses in this part of Edgewood are primarily on smaller, 50 x 100 foot lots, although a few are a bit larger. The houses in Drake/Edgewood are mostly larger and many would sell for over $1 million. I think most houses in Arthur Manor are still selling for under $1 million--maybe in the high $600s to the $800s.
In terms of ethnicity/religious backgrounds, this area does tend to attract quite a few families from Japan, China, India, etc. who are transferred to the NYC area for a few years. Thus, you will see a somewhat higher proportion of people from this area. This makes Edgewood elementary somewhat more diverse than the other elementary schools. However, the number of black or Hispanic families is as small as it is in the rest of Scarsdale (that is, almost none.)
I can't really speak about religion except to say that there is a large Catholic school in this area (IHM) so there may be more Catholic families living there, but that's just a guess.
One advantage to Edgewood, if you're commuting to NYC, is that there is bus service down Boulevard and I think Drake Roads to the Scarsdale Village. Commuter parking is very tight so this is a plus.
I found the Edgewood neighborhood to be very friendly and there are active neighborhood associations in both Arthur Manor and Drake/Edgewood, who sponsor several neighborhood events over the course of the year.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County