Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 10:40 AM

105 posts, read 242,550 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are contemplating a move to Westchester. My perception of Scarsdale is that it is a village consisting of mostly $2 to $3 million for the wealthy and upper middle class. During our search we have discovered homes for less than $1.5 and even less than $1 million.

These are not fancy or large homes but perfectly fine for us. Is anyone familiar with Scarsdale and can speak to whether we will be “looked down” upon or wouldn’t fit in given that our home would be modest compared to others? Also any huge red flags as to why these are comparatively so “cheap” even thought they are in good condition? Are there less than desirable areas in Scarsdale?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 01:53 PM

81 posts, read 85,545 times
There is "true" Scarsdale and there is also "Scarsdale PO" which is basically the nearby towns that happen to have the same zip code as Scarsdale, but is not in the same school district, but brokers will call it Scarsdale anyway to make it sound fancy. That doesn't mean those schools are bad (for instance, some of them are in Edgemont, where the schools are reportedly excellent) but do check the school district of the house before you buy it. I'm looking at zillow right now and see a bunch of houses under $1 million in Scarsdale, but most of them are actually in the Eastchester or New Rochelle school districts.

If you want a house in true Scarsdale for under 1.5 millions....if you don't mind living in a house that was built into the 1920s, and maybe needs some rennovations and probably is less than 2500 square feet and has a tiny yard, but is still safe and comfortable, then yes, those do exist, especially in the Edgewood section of Scarsdale (Note Edgewood is completely unrelated to Edgemont which I mentioned above -- Edgewood is a neighborhood in true Scarsdale, and Edgemont is the town next door). You won't get fancy amenities like heated bathroom floors, but you'll get the basics like a dishwasher and laundry -- maybe the laundry might be in your garage or an unfinished basement, though. No one will "look down" on you. Everyone is always friendly to everyone at the playground. The Edgewood section in particular has a lot of those starter homes so your house will fit in with the neighbors house and you won't feel different. But right now most houses here are selling quickly at 10-20% over the asking prices.
Every neighborhood in true Scarsdale is good, all the schools are excellent. Edgewood has more starter homes than the other neighborhoods, and the house and lot sizes are noticeably smaller and the streets are less pretty than most of the other neighborhoods, but it's NOT considered a "bad" neighborhood, not at all. Even in Edgewood, there is one extremely desirable part with extremely wealthy houses. There are no bad neighborhoods here (though there are certainly some areas that are famous for having mega-million mansions).

The conversations with other parents at soccer practice do often tend to make assumptions that everyone here has money, but I have never once heard anyone here being snobbish about it or having any sort of "they don't fit in" attitude towards anyone. For instance, last week at my kid's soccer practice, I was in a conversation with several parents discussing a fancy but very very expensive summer camp, and whether it's worth it -- I guess the unspoken assumption was that everyone there could afford that camp, and I didn't even think about it at the time, but I guess I could imagine someone on a tight budget feeling left out in that conversation. I think that sort of conversation happens here probably far more than I notice. But no one is ever snobbish about it.

Last edited by heapchk; 04-30-2022 at 02:27 PM..

Old 04-30-2022, 02:46 PM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
My son was in eastchester but it had a scarsdale po …

Old 05-01-2022, 08:47 AM

Here's one of the below 1.5 million houses in Scarsdale you mentioned. I live nearby so I visited the open house. I'll give you a feeling of the pros/cons at this price point.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...33033731_zpid/

PROS:
* It's in true scarsdale school district
* very easy walking distance to train station
* Old house (1920s) but newly rennovated
* Good sunlight

CONS:
* about 100 yards away from railroad tracks, noisy at times
* It's on a one-lane road down a twisty hill, I felt uncomfortable driving on it or parking on it.
* Has a one car garage, but it's tiny and on a super twisty small driveway so I don't think I could ever park there (not even sure I'd feel comfortable parking in the driveway, even)
* Almost non-existent front yard and it's on a steep hill, and back yard is smaller than the picture looks.
* Older house (1920s) though newly rennovated
* slightly awkward floorplan

If you're ok with all that, though, then this house seems fine and in your budget.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:46 AM

Thank you everyone so much! You all were very helpful!

Old 05-02-2022, 09:54 AM

169 posts, read 168,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heapchk View Post
Here's one of the below 1.5 million houses in Scarsdale you mentioned. I live nearby so I visited the open house. I'll give you a feeling of the pros/cons at this price point.

PROS:
* Good sunlight

CONS:
* It's on a one-lane road down a twisty hill, I felt uncomfortable driving on it or parking on it.
* Has a one car garage, but it's tiny and on a super twisty small driveway so I don't think I could ever park there (not even sure I'd feel comfortable parking in the driveway, even)
* Almost non-existent front yard and it's on a steep hill, and back yard is smaller than the picture looks.

If you're ok with all that, though, then this house seems fine and in your budget.
Real estate photographers know what they're doing. With a wide angle lens you can make any space look huge. It is a nice house, but as you said, the twisty 1 lane road would give me anxiety in winter and a little more yard space would be nice (been watching too many gardening shows lately)

Old 05-02-2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggidy View Post
Real estate photographers know what they're doing. With a wide angle lens you can make any space look huge.
*Does* the photographer really know what they're doing when they use the wide-angle lens? It makes the picture look great, but the buyer will still see how tiny the yard is when they see it in person, so what's the point of misleading pictures? Does that actually make the house more likely to sell?

Old 05-04-2022, 06:09 AM

38 posts, read 39,797 times
Quote:
*Does* the photographer really know what they're doing when they use the wide-angle lens? It makes the picture look great, but the buyer will still see how tiny the yard is when they see it in person, so what's the point of misleading pictures? Does that actually make the house more likely to sell?
If they got people to come see the house they've done their job.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:20 AM

973 posts, read 1,410,510 times
Quote:
Yes. Most people can only personally view a very small number of properties. If pictures result in a viewing of the property, then that property gets on a very short list of possible purchases, and may be chosen by the buyer despite its tiny yard.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:

PROS:
* Good sunlight

CONS:

This was an amazing break down. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County