Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 07:52 AM

821 posts, read 773,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbeach85 View Post
Ossining is a hidden gem worthy of this list.
I know that you love Ossining since you promote it in all of your posts but it’s no where in the same ballpark as many of the other school districts laid out in this thread. Take Great Schools rankings with a grain of salt but it has a 5/10 high school and 3/10 middle school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 04:30 PM

85 posts, read 57,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
I know that you love Ossining since you promote it in all of your posts but it’s no where in the same ballpark as many of the other school districts laid out in this thread. Take Great Schools rankings with a grain of salt but it has a 5/10 high school and 3/10 middle school.

Its likely great for spanish, as the curriculum I saw was only done in English for the one Amercian speaker in the room...ME!

I do hear they have immersion in the high school was was supposed to be good. I have my doubts, and my sons sight is on Regis for high school.

Old 11-07-2022, 05:03 PM

57 posts, read 91,021 times
In terms of overall wealth and based on median sale prices*

1. Scarsdale's Murray Hill Estates (in Heathcote) = Rye's estate section in Milton

2. Scarsdale (as a whole) = Rye (as a whole) = Bronxville (as a whole) = Purchase (as a whole)

3. Armonk = Harrison

4. Larchmont = Chappaqua

*this takes into account both single family and multi-family homes, condos and co-ops. A place like Scarsdale has virtually no multi-family homes whereas Rye has many. We cannot just focus on single-family homes.

Based on school districts

1. Scarsdale

Drop

Bronxville
Rye = Armonk

Big Drop

3. Harrison (Purchase) / Mamaroneck (Larchmont)

Old 11-14-2022, 05:01 PM

Just to continue the conversation, there is an interesting 2019 article from Westchester Magazine - https://westchestermagazine.com/feat...tchester-rich/

There was a poll from about 1,500 Westchester County residents about various topics. One of relevant polls was "In Which Towns Do You Think Only Rich People Can Afford to Live?"

Survey Results for [Perceived] Richest Towns in Westchester:

#1. Scarsdale - 74%
#2. Chappaqua - 62%
#3. Bronxville - 58%
#4. Rye - 53%
#5. Bedford - 48%
#6. Armonk - 41%
#7. Larchmont - 36%
#8. Pound Ridge - 28%* Believe there was a typo
#9. Rye Brook -26%
#10. Briarcliff Manor - 24%

Not surprised that Scarsdale was the overwhelming #1. I would have expected a stronger showing from Rye, however. I am also surprised that Chappaqua is not lower on this list. I am also surprised that Purchase is not on this list.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:31 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
Most people don't think about Purchase at all - that's the draw.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:13 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Most people don't think about Purchase at all - that's the draw.
Purchase is not a municipality. That limits statistical availability.

Old 11-15-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Purchase is not a municipality. That limits statistical availability.
While Purchase is a hamlet within Harrison, Purchase does have its own distinct zip code, which provides for a wide range of statistical insights.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:38 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfordmba2012 View Post
While Purchase is a hamlet within Harrison, Purchase does have its own distinct zip code, which provides for a wide range of statistical insights.
The trouble is that "hamlet" status is not very comforting position as against a population majority from relatively down-at-the-heels Harrison. That is why Rye Brook incorporated; to shield itself from a Port Chester majority. While it is true that Rye Brook was never part of Port Chester it was part of the larger Town of Rye, which we had to make a break from.

Old 11-16-2022, 09:26 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Quote:
The trouble is that "hamlet" status is not very comforting position as against a population majority from relatively down-at-the-heels Harrison. That is why Rye Brook incorporated; to shield itself from a Port Chester majority. While it is true that Rye Brook was never part of Port Chester it was part of the larger Town of Rye, which we had to make a break from.
Me thinks that one of the main reasons Rye Brook broke away from Port Chester is so they could get a Rye Brook mailing address.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:58 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
My husband grew up in Rye Brook when it was an unincorporated area. His older siblings attended Port Chester High School. At some point, Port Chester refused to take Rye Brook students. As a result, Valhalla High School accepted Rye Brook students for a couple of years until Rye Brook High School built its own high school.

Whether it was Rye Brook or Port Chester who insisted on the separation is unclear. It might have been mutual.

Port Chester in the early sixties was not the Port Chester of today. It was a mix of African-Americans, Italian Americans and other Americans. It was pretty and well maintained - a solid lower-middle class neighborhood. My husband's family member who attended Port Chester high school said it was a nice and everyone seem to get along.

Of course, in the late 1970's, Port Chester changed, but the move to incorporate Rye Brook came before then.

BTW - Rye Brook is still a village in the Town of Rye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County