Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2022, 11:39 AM

43 posts, read 42,257 times

Advertisements

Considering getting a house in western Ridgefield (low tax + good school). Options are all served by one the three stations. What's the parking situation at each, assuming I will get the monthly or yearly permit?

Also, it looks like the more express trains serve Purdy's and Goldens Bridge but not Katonah, so I am more focusing on houses served by the former two. Is that irrational? Do people otherwise served by Katonah drive north to either Purdy's or Goldens Bridge to just catch the somewhat faster trains?

I assume I will be getting a seat boarding at each of the stations? Weak knees + long ride.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 08:32 AM

24 posts, read 39,814 times
From my perspective, which may be incomplete or dated:

Most would use whatever station is closest, regardless of ultimate train time. Ridgefield is a very long (north to south) town - from the Wilton or Lewisboro border to Danbury town line might be 15 miles. I would think the added drive time through town (20 minutes with traffic and lights) would negate whatever 10 minutes you might save with an express from Purdy's. Unless you really lived right on West Mtn. equidistant from those train stations, I suppose.

Also, in case you're not aware, there is a shuttle bus from a church on the south end of town to the Katonah station. This is a popular option.

Regarding parking options at each stop- your best bet would be to call each village / town. The parking all over Westchester has changed quite a bit with the pandemic. Many towns have reduced monthly spots in favor of dailies, the waiting list situation has probably changed dramatically with less daily commuters. Some of these stations might not have monthly spots available to non-residents.

I would say you will never have a problem finding a seat on these trains in the morning. Sometimes on the way home you might have to either plan on getting to your train a little early than departure time or asking someone to move their luggage, but the way in should not be a problem. Again though my experience is five plus years out of date.

Lastly, my top tip, based on my experience from almost ten years ago: you do not necessarily need to be a resident to get on a waiting list for parking. You will need to show residency when it comes time to actually purchase whatever permit, but just getting on the list is a matter of just picking up the phone.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisical View Post

Most would use whatever station is closest, regardless of ultimate train time. Ridgefield is a very long (north to south) town - from the Wilton or Lewisboro border to Danbury town line might be 15 miles. I would think the added drive time through town (20 minutes with traffic and lights) would negate whatever 10 minutes you might save with an express from Purdy's. Unless you really lived right on West Mtn. equidistant from those train stations, I suppose.

Also, in case you're not aware, there is a shuttle bus from a church on the south end of town to the Katonah station. This is a popular option.

Regarding parking options at each stop- your best bet would be to call each village / town. The parking all over Westchester has changed quite a bit with the pandemic. Many towns have reduced monthly spots in favor of dailies, the waiting list situation has probably changed dramatically with less daily commuters. Some of these stations might not have monthly spots available to non-residents.

I would say you will never have a problem finding a seat on these trains in the morning. Sometimes on the way home you might have to either plan on getting to your train a little early than departure time or asking someone to move their luggage, but the way in should not be a problem. Again though my experience is five plus years out of date.

Lastly, my top tip, based on my experience from almost ten years ago: you do not necessarily need to be a resident to get on a waiting list for parking. You will need to show residency when it comes time to actually purchase whatever permit, but just getting on the list is a matter of just picking up the phone.
Very helpful. Thanks!

Old 09-02-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisical View Post

Bought a house in Ridgefield that is 1/4 mile away from the NY border and 7 miles away from both Purdy's and Golden's Bridge. It has been great -- got an annual parking permit at GB in the first week, always have seats both ways, and it's really ~65min on the train and 90min door-to-door (I work near Bryant Park). I was considering New Canaan and Westport, but there is no way I can do 90min from either place.

The NY-side of Ridgefield is a true hidden secret!

Old 09-03-2023, 06:05 PM

74 posts, read 81,093 times
Thanks for the update- so few people ever come back afterwards and let others know how it turned out.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:14 AM

180 posts, read 214,675 times
Purdy's is in the next fare zone, so tickets are more expensive, FWIW. That being said, Purdy's does still allow (free) street parking, which the other two do not - so it could end up being a wash. I've never actually done the math.

GB and Katonah both have plenty of metered parking. Lots used to fill up before COVID but they don't any more.

Backtracking/going further north doesn't make much sense IMO. I'd just go to whichever station is most convenient to the house. If what you're saying about express trains is true (I don't doubt you, I just haven't looked at a Harlem Line schedule in ages) then GB is the clear winner.

Old 09-07-2023, 10:04 AM

24 posts, read 39,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7591 View Post
Thanks for the update- so few people ever come back afterwards and let others know how it turned out.
Agreed. Congratulations on the move! Ridgefield is a great town. Go Tigers.

Old 11-22-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashowofhands View Post
Purdy's is in the next fare zone, so tickets are more expensive, FWIW. That being said, Purdy's does still allow (free) street parking, which the other two do not - so it could end up being a wash. I've never actually done the math.

GB and Katonah both have plenty of metered parking. Lots used to fill up before COVID but they don't any more.

Backtracking/going further north doesn't make much sense IMO. I'd just go to whichever station is most convenient to the house. If what you're saying about express trains is true (I don't doubt you, I just haven't looked at a Harlem Line schedule in ages) then GB is the clear winner.
Annual permit at GB's parking lot is only $350 (if I recall). To me it's a great deal. I think it's $1400/year at, say, White Plains.

After GB, the express train stops at White Plains, then Harlem, and GCT -- as express as it can be.

Old 12-25-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excited about STL View Post
Annual permit at GB's parking lot is only $350 (if I recall). To me it's a great deal. I think it's $1400/year at, say, White Plains.

After GB, the express train stops at White Plains, then Harlem, and GCT -- as express as it can be.
Just got an email that the annual permit is now $450. Still a good deal. Won't renew since I am relocating -- there is a waiting list, note that there is definitely an opening now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County