U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 02:02 PM

16 posts, read 65,611 times

Advertisements

Exactly, Glen Close Is Mexican.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 22,385 times
Thanks a lot newtoli.

As I found more about Bedford Corners, I realized that, as you said, Corners is actually quite different from Hills. The area we are looking is around Cronton Lake Road. Are you or your friends/relative familiar with that area? Although close to Kisco, I found the neighborhood pretty quite and nice.

Well about the tax, one of my friends confirmed as well that his property tax goes up like crazy in the past couple of years and he is fighting on this now, not sure how much reduction he can get...

However, I am wondering, since they already did everything on High School, why do we expect that it will continue climb significantly for coming years?

BTW, I just found that Glenn Close got married and moved to Maine. Is she still in Bedford Corners? see Glenn Close - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-05-2008, 08:55 AM

10,632 posts, read 17,337,248 times
Croton Lake Road is still a very rural and nice area. A lot of people use it as a backroad to cut around traffic. I'd love to live in that area.

Also - all areas of Kisco are not that bad. If it's the illegal problem you're talking about it's very limited to a few streets. You still have lots of great restaurants and shopping there, so don't stay away from that area entirely. There are still several areas of Kisco with multi-million dollar houses.

I believe they already hit the taxpayers with the cost of the renovations to the HS. It was dearly needed though, I can tell you.

Well, the last time I heard of Glenn Close being his neighbor was about a few years ago when her dog wandered over to a summer party we were having and we had to return it! It is possible she may have moved, or kept the house there as just a "country" NYC house, which a lot of celebs have in Bedford and Pound Ridge. Paul S c h a f f e r (I don't know why, but that was censored?) from the David Letterman Show lives right over in that area as well, and he is out very frequently during community events. Chevy Chase lives on the other side closer to Bedford as well. Richard Gere just opened a swank new restaurant over in Bedford. Believe me, Bedford Corners/Bedford is in no danger of becoming "little Tijuana" anytime soon.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:36 PM

3 posts, read 21,631 times
There is definitely some confusion here between Bedford Hills and Bedford Corners. There are beautiful estates in both areas, but Bed Hills has some sketchy areas as well. On Harris Road, for example, there are two women's prisons just down the road from enormous old estates. Literally, just doors down.

Bedford Corners is a name that some concerned residents of Mt. Kisco took on in an attempt to salvage their neighborhood's reputation (it is actually BEDFORD land, but the Mt. Kisco post office services the homes, hence the MK address), as people started to confuse it with the commercial and less gentrified areas of town. But, plenty of very wealthy BC residents like Seema Boesky, Nelson Peltz, Stanley Jaffee, Glenn Close, etc. have no problem using Mount Kisco as their return address. They don't even bother wiht the Bedford Corners label, although they could.

I am not aware of any apartment complexes or low income housing in Bedford Corners, and I have lived in neighboring Pound Ridge for 16 years. My children attended/ attend Pound Ridge Elementary, so I do not have first hand experience with West Patent's programs and faculty. But, they have to meet the same stringent requirements and teach the same curriculum as our teachers in PR.

Fox Lane is offers excellent AP, honors, Regents, ESL, adn special needs academic programs. The arts programs will knock your socks off. Just stop by to see the high school musicals or to listen to the strings orchestra play. Althetics is a mixed bag unless you're outstanding.

Taxes are high. It's beautiful up here. And there are fascinating people from all walks of life here. THe people who live in Bedford Corners can generally afford to live anywhere, and they choose BC. There must be something special keeping them here.

p.s. Yes, Glenn still has her beautiful estate here. Her daughter, Annie, graduated from Bedford Village Elementary and then went on to a nearby private school and is now in college, so Glenn doesn't spend as much time here. But, you will see penty of other luminaries about town.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,981 times
The illegal south american for the most part, do not live in apartment buildings but overly populated private homes that fail to comply to local hosing occupancy codes.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:20 PM

2,501 posts, read 5,876,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmac View Post
The illegal south american for the most part, do not live in apartment buildings but overly populated private homes that fail to comply to local hosing occupancy codes.
Perhaps. Rest assured, however, that such homes in Bedford, Bedford Corners and Pound Ridge are nonexistent.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 PM

258 posts, read 823,254 times
I love that area. You will definitely find more diversity than other areas of Westchester which scares some people but I wouldn't hesitate to move there.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:20 AM

2,501 posts, read 5,876,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Also - all areas of Kisco are not that bad. If it's the illegal problem you're talking about it's very limited to a few streets. You still have lots of great restaurants and shopping there, so don't stay away from that area entirely. There are still several areas of Kisco with multi-million dollar houses.
Believe me, Bedford Corners/Bedford is in no danger of becoming "little Tijuana" anytime soon.
To amplify on this point...... In these communities the presence of illegals and low-lifes (not the same thing, don't get me wrong) is so much lower than southern Westchester that what small presence there is, is far more visible. Compared to Peekskill, Ossining, Mamaroneck, etc there's no comparison. And downtown Mt Kisco has more real shopping, restaurants and activity than any of those towns as well - as well as Chappaqua (tiny) and Pleasantville (a small strip with outlying commercial clusters. Anybody who has actually been to Mt Kisco and the surrounding areas and remains concerned about the illegal problem should probably head a lot farther north. Like Vermont.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:06 PM

506 posts, read 1,207,663 times
As a previous poster said, Bedford Corners is just a zip code. It was invented when some new (nouveau would perhaps be a better word) residents of an area of Bedford that had always been serviced by the Mt Kisco PO decided that they didn't want their delicate images to be sullied by a Mt Kisco address when they had paid to be in Bedford.

Anyway, West Patent is a good school as are Fox Lane Mid and High schools. Of the 5 elementary schools in the BCSD, West Patent is probably the widest variety of ethnic and socioeconomic groups in the district. You will have kids who live in multi million dollar houses in classes with the kids of the guy who mows their lawn.

When I was a kid West Patent (I went to Bedford Village and Pound Ridge ES's) had a different grade format than the other schools. I'm not sure if they still do that, but it was considered kind of experimental at the time. I think that mixed some of the ages together or something. This is sort of ancient history though so don't let me confuse you.

There has been a large influx of Hispanic immigrants to the area over the last 20 years. Some of then are surely illegal, but the area is in no danger of being overrun by an alien menace as one of the more hysterical earlier posters implied. They are pretty much in the same area as the poorer people in those areas have always lived. A few sections of Mt Kisco and the Babbitt road area of Bedford Hills.They used to be mostly Italian with a smattering of black people. Now they are largely Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County