Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 09:05 PM

12 posts, read 11,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Yorktown population is nothing like Princeton's Indian population!

Yorktown is not exclusive or close knit - at all. In the fourteen years I lived there, I never noticed any clicks.

Yorktown was Italian with some Irish. In recent years, there has been an influx of Christian Albanians. On my old block, an Italian citizen who married an African American woman, an Irish young couple who had a baby, a young Japanese family, an older Chinese couple, and a Mexican grandparents couple with a daughter & grandkids (a huge house).
Oh wow a good mix then.
It is easier to fit in when a district is not homogeneous in demographics thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 06:47 PM

74 posts, read 80,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
For the Clarkstown option, you need to look into the express trains into, and out of, Penn Station. If he can take the express in and out, then the train commute is only 49 minutes from Pearl River to Penn Station (this includes a transfer of trains in Secaucus). This is not a bad commute. Of course, it would help if he works near Penn Station, and it would help if the car ride is not that long from the house to the Pearl River Station. You can also do the same out of Nanuet, but that will be a slightly longer train ride, and maybe not a shorter car ride. The express train times will have to work. They are limited. You need to look at the NJ Transit schedule. I would also test out the drive from the house to each of these stations. Clarkstown is a very big district, and you may be very close to one or both of these stations, or you may be far away. You should be able to figure out the total door to door very accurately with a little bit of work. Then do similar for the Yorktown house.
I am sure the OP knows from current experience that NJ Transit times need to be taken with a large grain of salt- there are many comparisons from people who utilized both NJT and Metro North on city-data and Metro North clearly wins.

The poor record of on time service of NJT was yet another reason we ended up going to Westchester instead of Rockland.

Everyone we spoke to who used NJT no matter where they were located in NJ or Rockland had nothing good to say about the service. Metro North users on the other hand had mostly positive comments- the main negatives were regarding station parking- but you have that problem in Rockland and NJ too.

Old 02-09-2023, 10:05 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7591 View Post
I am sure the OP knows from current experience that NJ Transit times need to be taken with a large grain of salt- there are many comparisons from people who utilized both NJT and Metro North on city-data and Metro North clearly wins.

The poor record of on time service of NJT was yet another reason we ended up going to Westchester instead of Rockland.

Everyone we spoke to who used NJT no matter where they were located in NJ or Rockland had nothing good to say about the service. Metro North users on the other hand had mostly positive comments- the main negatives were regarding station parking- but you have that problem in Rockland and NJ too.
This is good information to consider. As a long term user of the Hudson line on Metro North, I can tell you it incredibly reliable. For the most part, you can set your watch by the accuracy of the schedule. Of course there are deviations, but for the most par those are weather related. On days where there is snow, ice, or a significant rain or wind event the schedule is often changed or delayed. But the delays are usually reported promptly. Obviously when something unexpected happens, there are delays. Sadly last week a person died when hit by a train, the following police investigation caused delays. But other than these rare events, the schedule is very accurate. People frequently ask me about how crowded the trains are in the post Covid world. If this helps, the trains are about 80% of their former use on Tuesdays through Thursday, with use significantly lower on Mondays and Fridays. Pretty crowded with singles in all the two seaters and two in all the three seaters. Some people standing. Monday and Friday, lots of open seats. Hope this is helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County