Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 03:03 PM

29 posts, read 19,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-water View Post
I live in Manhattan but honestly all that is needed to be car centric is to live within walking distance to a big grocery store. Walkability scores improve if living in a historical district because there will be a post office and other amenities built in long ago, but the most important aspect is to live within walking distance to a grocery store.

I think you meant all that is needed to be walkable is to live within walking distance of a grocery store.

The rule of thumb is not more than 1/2 a mile should a station from a home. And within that range should groceries, delis, restaurants, and convenience stores. That is how civilized vibrant places look. Instead, Westchester has the big Central Avenue which looks third world or the Route 22 which is so random and empty. Westchester has lots of promise but it is some of people that we see on this thread that are the problem and don't belong in this region.

Old 04-11-2023, 03:14 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbowpunch View Post
Let me first say, you are clearly not an educated person and you failed math and science. You talk about taking land. Guess what, highways and roads take up more land than light rail or heavy rail. So you clearly don't know anything about engineering and land space availability.

So basically you reap the benefits of NYC but pay zero tax which is common among car people since you leeches off the city and taken in most of the resources. Btw, NYC contributes more in tax to the state and feds than all of Westchester if you want to get technical.

As for "outdated", tell that Japan or Western Europe that are far more advanced and continously advancing their cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILsDRbJpBN8

The reason this country and region is behind is cause of people like you that should forcibly resettled outside of major metro cities. When it comes corrupt, it is people like you that gave the Cuomos practically six terms and spent all the money on your failed Tappan Zee Bridge(should have had Metro-North on it).

You talk about homes and the Galleria, but guess what, they are gonna build tall homes which is about 0.4 miles from the White Plains Station, which I am glad. So I am sure that will make your cringe since that is TOD.

The BeeLine is a bus system with limited capabilities and has outgrown its use. Buses should only remain as supplementals or very short distances.

The fact is one million people cannot all be driving all at once even in an area like Westchester. Light rail alleviates the problem by taking cars and people like you off the road. Like I said, go move out to North Dakota or Oklahoma where your kind belongs. Drive as much as you want. There is even oil rigs too in those states so you got all the gasoline and probably meth you need. I was gonna suggest Houston, but they do have a light rail too in downtown so you would get mad seeing mass transit.
The only uneducated one in this conversation is you, and you clearly never took a civics class or read our constitution. You clearly have no idea what a "taking" is, and where land comes from. It comes from people who own it. The highway and roads are there. The lightrail station is not. You clearly don't know anything about engineering and land space availability.

I do not reap the benefits of NYC but pay zero tax. I pay for USE. I go to the theater and pay for my Metro North fare. I pay for my taxi or uber. I pay for my tickets to the show, I pay for my hotel room with the city occupancy tax in it. I pay for my food with its local sales tax and I tip the bartender and wait staff, allowing them to may the ridiculous NYC taxes. I understand why cities and destinations around the world do no think people that use area's offerings to people are not reaping without paying. They are the absolute desired participant, people who spend money without getting any services other than what they pay for. You really know nothing at all about urban development and planning. Its pretty funny.

Btw, NYC DOES NOT contribute more in tax to the state and feds than all of Westchester per capita, but NYC also takes in more tax benefits from the state and federal government than westchester does on both a total and per capita basis. But since only one of these is rational, lets also say that NYC drinks more milk than westcheste county, which is about as relevant as your entire post ... if you want to get technical.

that you think Japan or Western Europe are far more advanced and continuously advancing their cities tells me that you have no idea what urban planning is all about.

This country and region is NOT behind. Its funny that you think it is. While I know Mario Cuomo quite well and liked him, both of his children are people I could and have never supported. No, the Tappan Zee Bridge should not have had a rail line on it, but that is another one of those pesky engineering things that you know nothing about. Cost benefit analysis, but you just want to tax and spend. The Cuomo brothers sound a lot like you, I bet they both have your support, along with the current idiot up there.

Don't worry, I am heavily involved in TODs in Westchester. I know all about them. Buts facts just get in your way. The BeeLine is a spoke bus system. It is designed to have limited capabilities. The issue is, it has NOT outgrown its use. Use has plummeted. Actual engineers and planners understand that the new way to work without commuting requires a massive adjustment to urban transport and lightrails make no sense over counties as large as westchester since the systems depend on commuters to pay for development. But as commuter use in light rails all over the US, along with all mass transit, has dropped, the analysis for capital development no longer makes sense. New models have not yet shown how such a system can be accomplished without taxpayer support. I do not support more taxes for non-used systems.
But every urban planner in the world knows that buses are indeed a very active part of transit oriented development and you should have your head examined for thinking otherwise.

The fact that you think one million driving all at once in an area like Westchester is something to plan for shows your lack of understanding. Let the professionals handle this, you just do not have the background for it. Light rail in an area with adequate public land to develop stations, lines, spurs, support are useful in your hated North Dakota or Oklahoma where this type of program is in fact being put to use. Here, where land is all privately owned, is worth dozens of times what land is worth in the midwest, simply cannot support such a ludicrous idea. You go out west where your kind belongs. Build as many planned developments with TODs, MODs, WODs, and other target oriented districts as you want. And yes, you can get the meth you are obviously doing now there as well.

Old 04-11-2023, 03:47 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Gov Hochul wants to turn Westchester County into another NYC borough:

https://scarsdale10583.com/section-t...using-proposal

Old 04-11-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
The only uneducated one in this conversation is you, and you clearly never took a civics class or read our constitution. You clearly have no idea what a "taking" is, and where land comes from. It comes from people who own it. The highway and roads are there. The lightrail station is not. You clearly don't know anything about engineering and land space availability.

I do not reap the benefits of NYC but pay zero tax. I pay for USE. I go to the theater and pay for my Metro North fare. I pay for my taxi or uber. I pay for my tickets to the show, I pay for my hotel room with the city occupancy tax in it. I pay for my food with its local sales tax and I tip the bartender and wait staff, allowing them to may the ridiculous NYC taxes. I understand why cities and destinations around the world do no think people that use area's offerings to people are not reaping without paying. They are the absolute desired participant, people who spend money without getting any services other than what they pay for. You really know nothing at all about urban development and planning. Its pretty funny.

Btw, NYC DOES NOT contribute more in tax to the state and feds than all of Westchester per capita, but NYC also takes in more tax benefits from the state and federal government than westchester does on both a total and per capita basis. But since only one of these is rational, lets also say that NYC drinks more milk than westcheste county, which is about as relevant as your entire post ... if you want to get technical.

that you think Japan or Western Europe are far more advanced and continuously advancing their cities tells me that you have no idea what urban planning is all about.

This country and region is NOT behind. Its funny that you think it is. While I know Mario Cuomo quite well and liked him, both of his children are people I could and have never supported. No, the Tappan Zee Bridge should not have had a rail line on it, but that is another one of those pesky engineering things that you know nothing about. Cost benefit analysis, but you just want to tax and spend. The Cuomo brothers sound a lot like you, I bet they both have your support, along with the current idiot up there.

Don't worry, I am heavily involved in TODs in Westchester. I know all about them. Buts facts just get in your way. The BeeLine is a spoke bus system. It is designed to have limited capabilities. The issue is, it has NOT outgrown its use. Use has plummeted. Actual engineers and planners understand that the new way to work without commuting requires a massive adjustment to urban transport and lightrails make no sense over counties as large as westchester since the systems depend on commuters to pay for development. But as commuter use in light rails all over the US, along with all mass transit, has dropped, the analysis for capital development no longer makes sense. New models have not yet shown how such a system can be accomplished without taxpayer support. I do not support more taxes for non-used systems.
But every urban planner in the world knows that buses are indeed a very active part of transit oriented development and you should have your head examined for thinking otherwise.

The fact that you think one million driving all at once in an area like Westchester is something to plan for shows your lack of understanding. Let the professionals handle this, you just do not have the background for it. Light rail in an area with adequate public land to develop stations, lines, spurs, support are useful in your hated North Dakota or Oklahoma where this type of program is in fact being put to use. Here, where land is all privately owned, is worth dozens of times what land is worth in the midwest, simply cannot support such a ludicrous idea. You go out west where your kind belongs. Build as many planned developments with TODs, MODs, WODs, and other target oriented districts as you want. And yes, you can get the meth you are obviously doing now there as well.
You can't even come up with your own original comeback so you copy mine which reflect a low iq or why abortions needs to be legalized. Truly pathetic and indicative of a car centric meth user. The highway system and roads are heavily subsidized by taxes more than even the space program. You can get on your knees for Robert Moses all you want, but his vision failed NY.

The USA and NYC metro region are behind lots of countries. Let's see, Switzerland, Japan, Germany, France, South Korea, and China make the USA infrastructure look not much different than the infra you see in a Sub-Saharan country in Africa or Lebanon or Syria. You and the Cuomos are the reason why we don't have direct rail to any of our airports.

The Tappan Zee Plan was gonna connect Rye to Woodbury Commons. Cuomo like yourself said he is a "car guy", so sorry I wouldn't have anything in common with that loser. You on the other hand have a lot in common with the subhuman family.

You clearly are not involved in any TODS because any sane person would support light rail compared to your thinking the BeeLine is a sufficient system when it has failed. I never said buses are not important, but they are supplementals, NOT primary sources of transit. That's why Los Angeles failed when they removed their light rail for buses in the 1960s which in effect destroyed that city.

I could school you on both urban planning and U.S history and you wouldn't be the same again. You are ok with building more highways and I bet if I said let's build more highways, you would be supporting that idea because you want to drive everywhere. Light rail isn't needed in rural areas of North Dakota, so that makes sense for you to drive there since they have zero density and low population. But you are a coward and reap the benefits of the region and pay nothing for it. As for "USE" guess what, the MTA is based in NYC, so you are in fact reaping its benefits. And Westchester county takes in more resources for single family homes where people don't play outside than NYC residents.

As for the decline in use of transit. There was this pandemic which people like you spread cause you couldn't keep your mask on or get vaxxed.

I happen to be one of the professionals. I actually come from a STEM background, and you clearly don't. Not just am I more educated than you, but I been to more countries than you and know that people like you are the reason why we have ghettos and trailer parks in this country.

Old 04-11-2023, 04:31 PM

Everyone I know who drives would rather die than use public transit, they ask neighbors for rides, use Uber and taxis, but would never consider walking down our short street to take the bus on the corner. One of my neighbors takes Metro North 3X a week into Manhattan, he says if forced to work all week in NYC again he will quit and look for a job in a city he can commute to by car, like Stamford, Ct, he detests the train, and I'm sure many feel the same about using public transit.

BTW: Westchester County has the best highway system in the entire nation according to AAA.

Last edited by wp169; 04-11-2023 at 05:49 PM..

Old 04-11-2023, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Everyone I know who drives would rather die than use public transit, they ask neighbors for rides, use Uber and taxis, but would never consider walking down our short street to take the bus on the corner. One of my neighbors takes Metro North 3X a week into Manhattan, he says if forced to work all week in NYC again he will quit and look for a job in a city he can commute to by car, like Stamford, Ct, he detests the train, and I'm sure many feel the same about using public transit.

BTW: Westchester County has the best highway system in the entire nation according to AAA.
Well it appears you know lots of people that are drug users if that is the case. The facts however say otherwise about people feeling the same way.

https://www.dataforprogress.org/blog...rk-state-et27x

So nice try.

BTW: Even your sham about Westchester having the best highways was wrong:

https://cluballiance.aaa.com/the-ext...ive-in-america

Old 04-11-2023, 07:40 PM

96 posts, read 35,618 times
Careful what you wish for. If Westchester were to have a great public transportation system, a whole bunch of us city folks will move there and it would mess with everyone’s rents, and lose its small town charms.

Maybe you lived in Westchester your whole life, but then you would get newbies from the big city showing up at your stomping grounds and telling you that you don’t know jack about Westchester:grin:

Old 04-11-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Careful what you wish for. If Westchester were to have a great public transportation system, a whole bunch of us city folks will move there and it would mess with everyone’s rents, and lose its small town charms.

Maybe you lived in Westchester your whole life, but then you would get newbies from the big city showing up at your stomping grounds and telling you that you don’t know jack about Westchester:grin:
That Cross County center, New Roc, Central Avenue, and The Westchester sure make Westchester county look like Amish country in Lancaster, PA lol.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:03 PM

96 posts, read 35,618 times
The illegal migrants in NYC and all of their their extended families might take a liking to a newly proposed Westchester public transport. And they are all going to want free housing for life, so you will have to downgrade because they are used to $500 per night free hotel rooms. So buckle down and also pay for their free health care, and all their babies, and their babies free college and free food. Your kids need to move over and let them go first.

Rents won’t be getting any cheaper for you, either. And the jobs will dry up because they need migrants to take them, not you.

You sound like a racist scumbag, too. Love is love. Migrants are humans too. And you are nothing but an anti migrant and a racist.

:wink: ^^ just a little sampler for everyone in Westchester who wants to be the next borough of NYC :love:

Old 04-12-2023, 12:04 AM

Quote:
The illegal migrants in NYC and all of their their extended families might take a liking to a newly proposed Westchester public transport. And they are all going to want free housing for life, so you will have to downgrade because they are used to $500 per night free hotel rooms. So buckle down and also pay for their free health care, and all their babies, and their babies free college and free food. Your kids need to move over and let them go first.

Rents won’t be getting any cheaper for you, either. And the jobs will dry up because they need migrants to take them, not you.

You sound like a racist scumbag, too. Love is love. Migrants are humans too. And you are nothing but an anti migrant and a racist.

:wink: ^^ just a little sampler for everyone in Westchester who wants to be the next borough of NYC :love:
Just what Westchester needs, a graffiti marked train running through the nice neighborhoods! The politicos have threatened to urbanize the Westchester towns and villages for years but it never comes to fruition, thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County