U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 11:58 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,867,929 times

Advertisements

We're considering installing "ductless split-package AC systems" in our house (the compressor unit is outside, with coils running to interior wall-mounted units that deliver the air). Does anyone have these? If so, how well do they work? Are they much better than window ACs? Who did the installation? (FYI, central AC would be far more expensive and the installation would be far more destructive. Also, with a 1700's house with really low ceilings, ducts are out of the question.) Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 09:10 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,713,802 times
Those things are really nice. They're the only A/C system you'll see in many parts of Asia (Japan especially). I don't know why they haven't caught on in the USA.

They are cheaper to run than central-air and aren't noisy like window A/C units are. When you leave a room you can simply shut off the unit, thereby saving you $$$.

I don't know a thing about installing one around here. So I wouldn't be able to help you there.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,632,940 times
I have heard that Mitsubishi makes good units.

I agree with the prior poster. Central air is an expensive waste of money.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:27 PM

33 posts, read 143,440 times
I have two friends that have the Mitsubishi Mr. Slim & we are getting one for our family room as soon as we finish sheetrocking and painting. Both families love it and I've seen them working and cooling the rooms they are in. The units are very quiet and do a great job in rooms where you can't have central air or a window air conditioner. We have vinyl windows and no central air and basically just cool the family room and bed rooms at night so this will work great in our 1st floor family room where we can no longer use a window unit. There are different size compressors and we are getting the smallest one which I believe two units can be attached to. I'm not sure how many rooms the bigger compressors can cool (and from what I've seen and read, they are not as large as a central air unit so they are not that big) or if you would need multiple compressors for different sides of the house.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwood2008 View Post
I have two friends that have the Mitsubishi Mr. Slim & we are getting one for our family room as soon as we finish sheetrocking and painting. Both families love it and I've seen them working and cooling the rooms they are in. The units are very quiet and do a great job in rooms where you can't have central air or a window air conditioner. We have vinyl windows and no central air and basically just cool the family room and bed rooms at night so this will work great in our 1st floor family room where we can no longer use a window unit. There are different size compressors and we are getting the smallest one which I believe two units can be attached to. I'm not sure how many rooms the bigger compressors can cool (and from what I've seen and read, they are not as large as a central air unit so they are not that big) or if you would need multiple compressors for different sides of the house.
Cwood - Do you know what contractor your friends used? What about the cost? I'm guessing about $3,000 each, plus an electrician.

The large 12,000 BTU Mr. Slim should cool our entire first floor (about 1,000 square feet). We also need one for our red hot finished attic. I don't mind popping in 5,000BTU window units in our kids' rooms, and an 8000BTU window unit in our room.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:45 AM

I do know that Mr Slim is more expensive because it is set up for both heat and AC--even if you just want AC you need to buy the dual-function unit, which is more expensive. We haven't gotten estimates yet, but we are planning on using the system to cool 5 rooms with 2 compressors and 5 wall units--we'll see if that is viable and how expensive...

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 06-16-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
I do know that Mr Slim is more expensive because it is set up for both heat and AC--even if you just want AC you need to buy the dual-function unit, which is more expensive. We haven't gotten estimates yet, but we are planning on using the system to cool 5 rooms with 2 compressors and 5 wall units--we'll see if that is viable and how expensive...

Thanks for the feedback!
Check that. Last time I looked you do not have to buy the unit that has heat.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:26 AM

33 posts, read 143,440 times
Hi Ruby, it was a local dad (neighborhood friend) who installed the units for them. Same guy did both houses, but I really don't know the name of his business. Sorry.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:23 PM

rubygreta,

What I uncovered is that yes, Mitsubshi's Mr Slim makes an AC-only single-unit compressor. But the multi-unit compressors are only available in dual AC/heat.

Since we are putting in lots of wall units, we want to use the multi-unit compressors (to be cost-effective and energy-efficient, and to have fewer compressors).

Old 12-29-2010, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,430 times
We do have central air and installing it in our old home would cost about $25,000. This isn't our long-term home, we don't want to sink that much money into it and not get it back. Instead, we are looking into a ductless [url=http://www.aircondirect.com.au/]split system air conditioner[/url] AC unit. Our first floor is very open so one good unit would likely cool all of it and cost about $5k-$6k.

I'm curious if anyone has this type of system and what you think of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County