Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,779 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to the Westchester area in the middle of July. He will be starting a new job in White Plains. The new job was a sudden change in direction for us (we were originally looking at Santa Monica, CA!) and we are anxiously trying to figure out where to live in Westchester. So some of the amenities that we'd like to find are:

1. Easy access to Manhatten via train. IE, an easy walk to train station.
2. Spacious apartment, doesn't matter if its a 1 bedroom or 2...workout facilities would be amazing.
3. City'ish. clean and safe. In other words, we would like a happening city thats not out in the middle of nowhere. We are in our mid 20s and not ready for Sleepy Hollow yet.

Our price range is between $1700 - $2000. We looked in White Plains and our impression is that you get a little bit less for your money there in terms of space. We looked south of White Plains at places the train stops at, Scarsdale, Bronxville. Those towns seem just as expensive. Right now we are focused on Yonkers. The apartments we've seen posted there seem nice and new, with easy access to the train for the right price. The view seems really nice, right off the Hudson.

My husband will probably end up driving to work if we decide to do Yonkers. Unless we find out its a reasonable commute to take the train south to 125 Harlem and then transfer to the north train to White Plains. I will likely be looking for work in NYC, hence, needing easy access to the train. Actually, if it's possible, we'd like to get away with one car.

I'd really like some suggestions on where to look, as well as some ideas of places to get out and meet people...are there things to do in these areas?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 03:31 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
YOu do NOT want to take the train from Yonkers to 125th and then change to a White Plains-bound train!!!! Westchester is expensive. And many areas in Yonkers aren't necessarily desirable.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:41 PM

142 posts, read 961,462 times
I believe the apts you are interested are in south yonkers/ getty square area. While there is a rejuvenation of the area- with new restaurants, apts, etc- it is still not the nicest or safest area. I think you would be better off in White Plains and even though you may not be ready for "sleepy hollow", check out Tarrytown. You may also want to check out other areas like Bronxville PO (yonkers) that are walking distance to Bronxville village- but a bit less expnsive. You could also look in the city- you may find a tiny apt in your price range. Plenty do the reverse commute to White Plains from the city. You wouldnt have to get a car and could use that money towards extra rent. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:18 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Having grown up in Westchester, I do agree that Yonkers by the river is not where you want to be living, since it's a changing neighborhood. It's much better than it was years ago, but it has a way to come. If you like this area for its river views, a better bet is to go into the city to Riverdale, which is a section of the Bronx, as it's a better neighborhood and offers many amenities that come with living in the city, yet it has a suburban character to it with a large number of single family homes, apartments, and townhouses. It's not a bad drive to White Plains from Riverdale, but will take about 30-40 minutes. It offers different commuting options to Manhattan, such as an express bus coach service to Manhattan, operated by the MTA, or Metro North train, or a city bus to the subway. It's more convenient for the city worker than the White Plains worker, so for a mix of the two, I would consider Westchester or Fairfield.

In Westchester, the apartments will be expensive, especially compared with the place from which you are relocating. Generally, for a city feel, you want to look at White Plains or below because above White Plains neighborhoods quickly become suburban and exurban in Westchester. So, that would limit you to the Bronxville (village and area of Yonkers), Eastchester, and Scarsdale areas on the Harlem Line train if you did not want to be in White Plains itself. Mount Kisco could be an option, but I hestate to recommend it as it's a "city" by Northern Westchester standard, and I would not exactly describe it as having an active night life. If you are looking for a village concept, your best bets are going to be Tuckahoe, Bronxville, and Scarsdale as they do have many amenities that give a village feel.

Tarrytown is an option on the Hudson Line train, and it has river views, but also has some areas that are up and coming.

You might also consider looking along the New Haven Line train, both in New York and Connecticut. Places to check here would include: Pelham, Larchmont, Rye, and Greenwich. Of these towns, Pelham and Larchmont have nice downtown areas that offer many options for shopping, dining, entertainment, etc. though Larchmont might be a better option in offering a better commute to White Plains and has a little more in the way of shops and restaurants. Greenwich can be nice too, and has a great shopping district, and the commute to White Plains is not terrible, even with traffic.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:29 PM

33 posts, read 152,846 times
I think White Plains would be perfect for you, but if it's too expensive look at Woodlawn (Yonkers/Bronx border) - very Irish neighborhood with lots of pubs/restaurants, very active neighborhood or Fleetwood in Mt. Vernon. While Mt. Vernon as a whole is not the best, Fleetwood is a nice neighborhood. Both neighborhoods are on the Harlem line of Metro North which will take you right into White Plains in 15-20 minutes. Both neighborhoods have lots of apartment building, but no great river views, and since you don't have children, you don't have to worry about the school systems, which aren't the best either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County