U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 17,021 times

Advertisements

Currently living on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, I love it but it's too much and I need a change of pace. I am single in my 30's and looking to rent a 1br for $1000-$1200 a month. Work very near Grand Central, so walk to Metro North train would be nice as well. Neighborhood needs to be clean and safe, local bars/restaurants are a plus of course. Where should I start looking? So far I've been looking at Eastchester, Bronxville, Fleetwood, etc. Considered Yonkers and New Rochelle, but I've heard bad stories about neighborhoods there. Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 04:36 PM

739 posts, read 1,730,885 times
Look in White Plains. As a single person, it's probably the right place for you. The other towns you mentioned are more family-oriented. Yonkers has some lovely new condos and apartments being built along the river but the town itself might come up short for you. Have a look at Greenwich, CT. too, while you're at it.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:05 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,716,153 times
$1,000 - $1,200 for a 1 br is definitely towards the lower end of the spectrum in Westchester. You might be limited to Yonkers/New Rochelle with your budget.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:12 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,635,403 times
White Plains is out of your price range for a decent 1-bedroom, as is Bronxville. In Eastchester you could probably could rent a 1-bedroom in a 2-family house that is clean but has not been renovated in decades.

At your price point, I would try Fleetwood. It's very close to Manhattan, there are lots of stores and restaurants to walk to, and the rents should be cheaper.

Good Luck!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:42 PM

77 posts, read 411,990 times
You might want to consider Woodlawn in The Bronx....

Old 06-25-2008, 09:11 AM
K&F

40 posts, read 159,427 times
Default Try the Greystone in Yonkers

Hey, I'm also moving to Westchester (from Virginia) and did a fair amount of research on the area. My best friend lives on Warburton in the northwestern section of Yonkers - I mean he is just hundreds of yards from the Yonkers/Hastings city line. His apartment building is going condo so not the building for you, but all these buildings along that stretch of Warburton are right on the Hudson River with pretty views (depending on their location in the building). There's a co-op building called The Greystone at 1085 Warburton - there are usually a few rentals in there, and probably near your price range. The great thing about that building is that it has an elevator that goes down to the basement and you literally walk right out to the train platform for the Hudson line (Greystone station) - 30 minute ride to Grand Central! I really wanted to rent in that building for the convenience, but decided to go into Hastings because I have a special needs kid and I was worried about the schools (that was a whole 'nother posting). Anyway, I'm not sure how to check out rentals in the Greystone, I was on some email list for some rental agent and that's where I saw the rentals. I think it would be a good fit for you. If I can find the emails or website I'll come back and post it.

good luck.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:47 PM

40 posts, read 178,884 times
If you factor in the cost of a car, insurance, and Metro North ticket, btw, you might be able to find a nice 1 bedroom right in Manhattan in your budget. Just some advice from someone moving out of the Upper West Side! (I was paying $1400 for a 450 sq ft apartment).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County