Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 29,163 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I moved to Armonk with my husband and two dogs 11 months ago on his expat assignment and I hate it. I have tried so hard to be nice to everyone, smiling an saying hi trying to strike up conversations, but people just dont seem interested. Im 25, the hubbys 33 and were both brits. We could just be here for another year, or it could be another three - were not sure. I'm just sick of people scowling and looking down their noses here. We're from a down to earth community in the UK, this is so hard for me here as I don't officially work (trying to set up a jewelry business) and i'm getting rather lonely - even my dogs are going to tell me to stop talking to them soon! We like going out for beers, sitting out in the summer and taking the dogs for walks - I don't ask for much!

I have friends all over the world from 25 to 55, I am a nice person and a good friend - but I need friends here! Where would you suggest would be a good place rent? we have a decent budget of $8k a month, but need somewhere good for the woofs! We're not planning on moving yet, but I just want to get a heads up for the future.

So where is the friendliest place around? so far I have found Ridgefield CT to be lovely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 08:08 PM

131 posts, read 792,677 times
Default Peekskill?

I think it is very hard to make friends in many Westchester towns if you don't have kids in the schools--so many people's lives just revolve around their kids, their activities, etc. So I can sympathize.

We lived in Peekskill for over 6 years and found it to be a very friendly town. I think it would definitely have more of the feeling you're looking for than Armonk. It's a Hudson River town and there are some art galleries, coffee shops, a used bookstore, and a theater downtown. The riverfront is one of the nicest of all the river towns.

The only drawbacks we found to Peekskill were that the commute is long and the schools are not the best (although it doesn't seem that that would be an issue for you at this point.)

Old 06-22-2008, 08:34 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,660,003 times
NJ! Get out of Westchester. I've lived in both places and find NJ to be so much friendlier and less snobbier than Westchester. In two years of taking Metro North every day to NYC, I've spoken to about 2 people.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:11 PM

18 posts, read 98,506 times
You should also check out Forest Hills in Queens. The 'Gardens' area was built as an old English village, has express subway and RR service to midtown and the people are very down to earth.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:15 PM

101 posts, read 461,742 times
I think you would like lower Westchester River towns- like Hastings, Dobbs and Irvington. I moved here recently and have found people to more very friendly and very down to earth. I think there is a large artist community, lots of writers, etc. Also- these all all walking towns, which I think is necessary in getting out and meeting people. With your budget- try Rye, Larchmont or Bronxville as well. I think you will pleasantly suprised

Last edited by nadia32; 06-23-2008 at 08:32 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 05:22 AM

371 posts, read 1,566,593 times
Lower Westchester would be a good place to start like the PP said, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings in particular. I grew up in Dobbs, a very nice and friendly town. As far as Ridgefield CT, it is a lovely town, but trust me, my kids go to preschool there, its just as snobby as Armonk. Don't let the beauty full you!

Old 06-24-2008, 07:55 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
I'm always struck by how friendly and open people are here. Granted, I'm comparing it to NYC, but I've found it much easier to meet people and develop friendships in northern Westchester than I did in Park Slope Brooklyn. I agree with Karen824 that having kids helps--long before he was in school, we met lots of people through our son at playgroups, playgrounds, coffee houses, etc. But there is simply a greater sense of community here. We live in a 'rural' area of southern Yorktown, but we met all of our neighbors in no time thanks to the community association potlucks (and the local playgroup), and we've also used the community email system to meet neighbors with similar interests. Beyond neighbors, the key is simply to go to where people are. We've met many friends at the local coffee houses--just this past Sunday I had a nice chat with a stranger at the Peekskill Coffee House (a great place to meet people). Every town library also has poetry readings, art shows, lectures and other events that bring out lots of people and are a great place to meet "like-minded" people. Every weekend there are a number of art shows, readings, classes, hikes--loads of chances to meet people. There are of course also lots of 'groups' for specific interests. If you're looking for fellow artists, definitely check out Croton and Peekskill. Katonah also has a large population of artists.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:10 AM

95 posts, read 431,162 times
My sig. other and I (mid 30s) moved to NJ about a year ago from California with our two dog and have felt the same thing! In my opinion, not having kids is a big negative in trying to meet people in towns where the primary focus is kids and "how good the schools are" - at least we've felt like that is a big part of the issue where we live. People ask, "do you have kids?" and when you say no, many seem to lose interest in the conversation. We are actually moving to Peekskill, NY in the next few months - every time we've been up there we've chatted with friendly people, schools are not an issue for us and we love that there are a bunch of large parks to take the dogs too and close to the river for sailing and kayaking. Even if we do eventually have kids, from what I've read, I think that the Peekskill schools would be adequate.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:08 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Westchester can be a hard place to make friends, that's for sure, and towns like Armonk without a downtown area tend to be bedroom communities where the focus is on children. I would also recommend looking into lower Westchester, in the Bronxville and Larchmont areas, since they have a village center and have a higher proportion of people who fit the young professional range than Armonk, not all of whom have families since both towns do have apartments and condominiums. Plus, there are cultural opportunities in these areas that can be a good bridge to meeting some people.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:53 PM

4 posts, read 40,046 times
Peekskill is the best town..I miss it and wish I was still there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County