U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 01:40 PM

5 posts, read 22,723 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm considering a move to the NYC area for a job in Manhattan. While I can afford to rent in Manhattan, I will want to buy a home within the next year, and so part of my decision-making will include figuring out where I'll ultimately want to live. I know that I can't afford to buy a home in Manhattan and will have to look in the surrounding areas (Westchester, Brooklyn, NJ...). Considering Westchester as an option, I'm wondering how happy I'll be there as a single 40-something. And how it would compare to other areas. Does anyone have any insight into where the single 40-somethings with no children live? Any feedback is much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 03:24 PM

19 posts, read 43,868 times
Default possibility in Westchester

Maybe look at the towns (Ardsley, Hastings on Hudson, etc. up to Tarrytown). I am not 100% but having worked in Irvington before I knew some people who were single and love living there. People are very nice in that area. To me they seem inclusive of all...HTH

link:Historic River Towns of Westchester County, New York - Home Page (http://www.hudsonriver.com/rivertowns/ - broken link) (please don't be turn off by the dated pics!)

_______

Aside: Brooklyn is good too but I lived there when going to Pratt and sections like Park Slope, etc. seemed a little more family oriented, e.g. a lot of mom and baby strollers . Others who live there can probably give you a better assessment.

Last edited by global_gal; 06-23-2008 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: spelling and add link

Old 06-23-2008, 03:48 PM

5 posts, read 22,723 times
Thanks global_gal!! I'll check out those areas.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:16 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,702,910 times
Off the river in Westchester, you might like Bronxville and Tuckahoe as they offer nice village character and easy commutes to Manhattan. I would also consider looking in Riverdale, which is a section of the Bronx, on the Hudson below Yonkers as it's an historic area that combines the city feel with a suburban environment while being within NYC. Park Slope is very family-oriented and you don't get too much for the money in the better areas of Brooklyn these days, compared to what you can get in the closer-in suburbs. And, it seems to me, from the people I know in Park Slope, and who have lived there previously, that it's a great place for starting a family before moving to Westchester when it's time for the children to go to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County