U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 PM

7 posts, read 43,272 times

Advertisements

NY Girl - Could you please comment on how you like Eastchester? We are interested in looking at houses there
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 07:54 AM

12 posts, read 90,740 times
Thanks everybody for the good advice. We have actually decided to stay in corporate housing for 6 months because the market is crazy and it seems as though Westchester is just starting to decline. I have noticed a lot of people take their houses off the market if they don't sell for asking price. I have a feeling housing will drop even more in the up coming months. So we will wait and see!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:16 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,559,630 times
Don't expect huge price declines in Westchester. Very few towns aren't wealthy enough to support the high prices. Then factor in one of the best commuter rail networks in the country with direct access to the largest job center in the country (Midtown Manhattan) and thats why you have high housing prices in Westchester.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:26 PM

148 posts, read 787,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl128 View Post
We moved up from DC three years ago and would have moved to Pelham Village or Manor if we could have found a decent house. We ended up in Eastchester which we like a lot but you should read the other thread on E'chester. That said, there is a large ex-pat population here and in bordering Scarsdale.
Just curious, are you talking about Asian expats? you mentioned in another post that expats are being attracted by the lower cost of homes there vs Scarsdale. The poster's husband is European. European expats in Scarsdale are attracted by the French American preschool there (the rest of the school is in Larchmont and Mamaroneck) and the German School in White Plains.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:28 PM

148 posts, read 787,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Don't expect huge price declines in Westchester. Very few towns aren't wealthy enough to support the high prices. Then factor in one of the best commuter rail networks in the country with direct access to the largest job center in the country (Midtown Manhattan) and thats why you have high housing prices in Westchester.
I think so too. I am not expecting a huge decline here.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:58 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,000,345 times
Yes, generally speaking, Westchester houses tend to plateau and may take longer to sell in adverse conditions, but the deflation will not be as significant in traditionally popular suburbs that have the right mix of what people move to the county for, schools, easy proximity to the city, and liveable towns. It will be more of a "soft landing" in many areas, but you will likely get a better buy if a house has been sitting on the market for a while.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 40,352 times
Amazing how many people on these forums think Scarsdale, Larchmont, or Rye are the only acceptable places to live in Westchester. Many great towns like Pelham, Hastings, Ardsley, Eastchester, Harrison, Irvington, Mamaroneck etc. seem to get short shrift. Most people in this country would not recognize a whit of difference between all these NYC suburban, very affluent, high achieving towns, but some of the people on these threads work really hard to come up with distinctions, however trivial.

In this case, Pelham vs. Larchmont is a very similar consideration. Some differences: 1) Pelham has sidewalks absolutely everywhere; 2) Pelham is 10-15 minutes closer to NYC and many Pelham people travel into the city on weekends for dinner or entertainment. That 10-15 minute shorter drive makes a surprisingly big difference when deciding on an evening out; 3) Pelham has more of a true "small-town" downtown..no anchor stores, no fancy stores of any kind, no pretentions, solid though not spectacular restaurants (although La Fontenalla is a top notch Italian restaurant); 4) Larchmont has more of an established name and therefore people willing to pay more just to say they live there..that accounts for most of the difference in housing prices (and in fairness the fact that Pelham taxes are slightly slightly higher per assessed value). These differences, such as they are, are meaningless.

Why they are far more similar: 1) both have great schools with a small amount of economic and racial diversity, at least compared to the utter homogeneity of northern westchester; 2) both have lots of Wall Streeters, Doctors, Lawyers, Publishers, etc. (although Larchmont anecdotally seems to have slightly more Wall Streeters and Pelham slightly more Doctors); 3) both are packed with children and are seeing large increases in school enrollments; 4) both have had median increases in housing prices even in this crappy economy because they are close to NYC; 5) both have their share of snotty people and cliques; 6) both have nobody around in the summer because people are at second homes or long vacations or at private clubs all day.

Bottom line, ask people who live there what they think. These are all really good places to live, and your children will be lucky indeed.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:03 PM

12 posts, read 90,740 times
Thanks for your answer, I really appreciate it because personally I don't see the big difference between Pelham and Larchmont aside from the small town in Larchmont. Coming from outside the area, both areas do look superficially similiar and I have to admit that I think the houses in Pelham are more impressive looking then the average house in Larchmont. Larchmont may have a reputation of being more vibrant than Pelham but when I talk to people who live in Pelham they seem just as happy and social as people from Larchmont.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 7,827 times
Default Lint lickers!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok. Um....what is considered "urban"? The poster just moved from DC..Can't get any more "urban" than that. Oh, unless one just moved from Alantic City!!!!!

You people kill me. You sound like a bunch of racists and stuck up stuffed shirts attemting to sound "politically correct"

If I was the poster I wouldn't want to live or eat around any of you. Money doesn't make you like that. Your self hatred makes you like that. You hate who you are and where you came from. You all probably had to live hand to mouth before "JP Morgan Chase" gave you chicken feed.

You are a bunch of pretentious low lifes under the guise of being better than people.

New Rochelle is quite affluent/diverse. The taxes are a bit high but you can live wherever you can afford without snoot noses looking at you funny. Everything you could ever want to do for entertainment, food, education and leisure is in that city.

There are 2 beaches, wonderful schools (blue ribbon) i believe, and a very nice amount of private schools for all ages to choose from.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:43 AM

10,919 posts, read 28,000,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksssme View Post
ok. Um....what is considered "urban"? The poster just moved from DC..Can't get any more "urban" than that. Oh, unless one just moved from Alantic City!!!!!

You people kill me. You sound like a bunch of racists and stuck up stuffed shirts attemting to sound "politically correct"

If I was the poster I wouldn't want to live or eat around any of you. Money doesn't make you like that. Your self hatred makes you like that. You hate who you are and where you came from. You all probably had to live hand to mouth before "JP Morgan Chase" gave you chicken feed.

You are a bunch of pretentious low lifes under the guise of being better than people.

New Rochelle is quite affluent/diverse. The taxes are a bit high but you can live wherever you can afford without snoot noses looking at you funny. Everything you could ever want to do for entertainment, food, education and leisure is in that city.

There are 2 beaches, wonderful schools (blue ribbon) i believe, and a very nice amount of private schools for all ages to choose from.
I wasn't going to answer this posting, but there were issues I could not let pass. First, the OP asked about Larchmont and Pelham. Second, in my posting about the surrounding areas, I was being honest that they are more urban than their neighbors, and have their own set of issues. This is a relative comparison of the general area, not a comparison of disparate localities that have nothing to do with one another. Third, I am very familiar with Washington DC, and most people spending over $1M in Westchester, and looking for Larchmont and Pelham after relocating from DC, are from DC's suburbs, not the city itself. People refer to the entire DC Metro area as DC to those outside the area, not specifics of counties and states, since many who lived downtown would live in NYC. And, the city of Washington DC itself is very segmented, such that anyone spending over $1M can be moving from a neighborhood exactly like Pelham and Larchmont, i.e., suburban style development of diverse architctural style and size houses, within the city limits.

The reason I included New Rochelle in my description is because of the near riots that were in downtown New Rochelle in 2007, and Mount Vernon and the Bronx have their own set of issues. It's not to malign any area at all, but if someone is investing $1M+ in a house, they want the best return on investment, which for some includes the best possible school system for the price point. Moreover, these areas can be of concern to parents as children age, since they are not isolated in Lower Westchester from negative influences, no matter how much one pays for a house.

Are there parts of New Rochelle that are nice? Yes, but the school system trends to the average, and for someone who did not need to use a public school district, I would recommend parts of it readily. Pelham and Mamaroneck districts in this area of Westchester are much better overall, and just a little out of this area Edgemont, Ardsley, Irvington, Rye, Eastchester, Bronxville, Scarsdale, and Tuckahoe are also great districts that provide quality education. Stuidents can excel in any district, but many who are looking for the best possible school district do so since they want to utilize the public school system, not because they want to send their children to private schools; because if they wanted to use a private school, concerns over school district would be moot.

I have been called many things, but insinuations about racism are completely unwarranted both for myself and for the other people who responded to the OP's question about Larchmont and Pelham, specifically. An allegation of racism is a very severe thing in my book, and there is no mention of my race or ethnicity at all, nor is there for the other people who posted in this thread, so I do not see how such a charge can be levied without any sort of evidence. I could be any one of a myriad of hues, and so can anyone else on this board. Furthermore, nowhere have I EVER said anything disparaging about any group of people, sicne that goes against every fiber of my being and is not an activity which I would participate in nor condone in ANY way, shape, or form, be it based upon race, gender, ethnicity, creed, origin, orientation, age, socioeconomic status, or ability.

Additionally, the attack on people who posted to this thread as being nouveau riche and filled with self-loating about "hand-to-nouth" circumstances is also a complete fabrication, since there's absolutely no evidence for this opinion either. Those are generalistic statements designed to attack, based upon the perception of a stereotype that may or may not exist in the real world, not upon factual evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County