U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:59 PM

5 posts, read 10,516 times

Advertisements

Currently, my wife and I reside in Astoria but we're looking to move to Westchester at the end of this year and so, I would like some general suggestions on where to start looking to rent an apartment. Our combined income is a little short of 90k. I work in Murray Hill while my wife works in White Plains. And I will list the oft-repeated requirements - neighborhood should be clean and safe. We're looking to shell $1,700-$1800 for a 2 bedroom apartment. Do you guys think WP, Tuckahoe, Mamaroneck, etc., are feasible options for us? Any advise is welcome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:38 PM

148 posts, read 805,665 times
Yes it is possible in all three places, but in Mamaroneck and Tuckahoe there will be slim pickings there are maybe two or three 2 bedroom apartments in a multi-family building in this price range. You can get a 1 bedroom for that price in some co-op apartment buildings perhaps, but not a 2 bedroom. ...craigslist for by owner rentals.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-01-2008 at 03:15 PM..

Old 07-01-2008, 02:42 PM

How about Eastchester and Hartsdale? They are also nearby, perhaps you should consider these too?

Old 07-01-2008, 02:50 PM

Ekulu, thanks for your help. I was also going to consider Hartsdale because of the proximity to the Metro North (which I will be using in order to get to work). But, as far as I know, there is no Metro-North service from Eastchester. Is there any other mode of public transportation I can use from Eastchester to the city?

Old 07-01-2008, 04:20 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,678,303 times
A 2BR in lower Westchester could be difficult at around $1800 a month, especially in Tuckahoe, Bronxville, and Scarsdale. It's not an impossible task, but it could be more challenging, since that is close to the price of a 1BR in much of this area. Hartsdale and White Plains might offer a bit more, but not too much more. Around White Plains, however, be careful about Port Chester, as some sections are decent neighborhoods and others not as desireable. Mamaroneck offers some choices, and you might find a 2BR apartment in a multi-family house. There are some apartments off Midland Avenue, that straddles the Yonkers-Bronxville line and some of those might be a little over $1800 for a 2BR and offer proximity to Metro North.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.N. View Post
Ekulu, thanks for your help. I was also going to consider Hartsdale because of the proximity to the Metro North (which I will be using in order to get to work). But, as far as I know, there is no Metro-North service from Eastchester. Is there any other mode of public transportation I can use from Eastchester to the city?
The metro north stations convenient to Eastchester are Crestwood and Tuckahoe, however you need to live within walking distance since you can't park at Tuckahoe station unless you are resident of the village and not sure about details regarding Crestwood but the station parking situation in Eastchester is very bad.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
A 2BR in lower Westchester could be difficult at around $1800 a month, especially in Tuckahoe, Bronxville, and Scarsdale. It's not an impossible task, but it could be more challenging, since that is close to the price of a 1BR in much of this area. Hartsdale and White Plains might offer a bit more, but not too much more. Around White Plains, however, be careful about Port Chester, as some sections are decent neighborhoods and others not as desireable. Mamaroneck offers some choices, and you might find a 2BR apartment in a multi-family house. There are some apartments off Midland Avenue, that straddles the Yonkers-Bronxville line and some of those might be a little over $1800 for a 2BR and offer proximity to Metro North.
Tuckahoe and Mamaroneck with regards to 2 bedroom rentals are the same about 2 or 3 appts in that price range on the market in that price range and these are in multi families. This is very typical.

Bronxville (I am referring to Bronxville village/school district and not Bronxville Postal Address/Eastchester, Tuckahoe or Yonkers schools) and Scarsdale (Scarsdale village/school district, again not Scarsdale PO, Eastchester or Yonkers schools) are of course in a league of their own and I don't believe you will get anything good in that price range and if you ever do it will be in a multifamily as well and not as good as the ones in Mamaroneck and Tuckahoe for the same money.

You should of course be able to find something for this range and much much less in Yonkers (Yonkers Schools) but again that is in a totally different league not on par with Tuckahoe or Mamaroneck and definitely not Bronxville or Scarsdale.

Last edited by Ekulu; 07-01-2008 at 06:09 PM..

Old 07-08-2008, 05:31 AM

413 posts, read 1,016,065 times
Why not consider living in White Plains? It meets all of your requirements, and has some great rental stock.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:41 PM

I actually want to live in WP but I fear the prices, for apartments near the Metro-North, are not in our range. I'm also looking at Tarrytown now. What do you guys think about this town?

Old 07-16-2008, 06:43 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,678,303 times
There are some merits to Tarrytown, that's for sure, and it has come a long way in the last few years. The commute is reasonable; to the city, Tarrytown has local and express trains, and to White Plains, there's the option of taking Tarrytown Road (119) which can be easier than 287, save for the traffic lights. Tarrytown offers river proximity, which is nice for the views and recreational opportunities, and there are a good number of restaurants and cafes in its downtown, and a decent selection of housing. The river towns tend to be frendlier and less formal than other Westchester towns, and since schools are not a concern and you're considering a rental, that opens up a lot more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County