U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 44,655 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Westchester County because I am starting a new job in NYC.

We are looking at Eastchester as a potential option. I have two kids of ages 7 and 4 and would like to move to a town with great schools and reasonable cost of homes (our budget is ~800K). Also, looking for a diverse town.

Could you please comment on Eastchester schools and the quality of life in the town? Also I'd appreciate if you have other recommendations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:40 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,914,590 times
Eastchester is a nice town, and is a bit more relaxed than some of the other areas nearby. I know people who lived here and liked it. The schools are basically on par with its neighbors, depending upon which scores you use to judge the basis. Other towns in the area with highly rated school districts would be Bronxville (village, not the Yonkers district), Tuckahoe (very small district), Larchmont/Mamaroneck, Scarsdale, and Pelham. You would likely want to stay out of the Hartsdale, Mount Vernon, and Yonkers districts as they do not perform as well as others in this area.

Pelham is nice, but it's close to both Mount Vernon and parts of the Bronx, which is not in iteself a bad thing, but one needs to be careful as to which part of Pelam in which they choose to reside. Pelham Manor and the Village of Pelham are best, and you do get a better value than you do in Larchmont. $800k in Pelham would likely get you a smaller home on a city sized lot, and these are likely to be from the early-mid 20th Century. Pelham, itself, is a secure town, and has a good police presence, but the downtown is okay, nothing extraordinary.

For single family homes, Bronxville (village of, not Yonkers with Bronxville post office), Larchmont, and Scarsdale (not scarsdale post office, but town of) will be tough at the price point. You might find a limited supply in Tuckahoe and Ardsley. Mamaroneck offers some more choices, but the downtown is not as nice as Larchmont or Scarsdale, but Mamaroneck offers proximity to Larchmont, since they are both part of the Town of Mamaroneck. Eastchester is close to Scarsdale and Bronxville, though it's likely a quick car trip as opposed to a stroll to the village. Eastchester does have a good shopping district on White Plains Road, and features some large shopping plazas, but is not as compact a walkable village as others nearby.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:58 AM

60 posts, read 215,702 times
I agree with bmwguy's assessment

My kids are in the Eastchester schools and so far we're very happy. I have one that needs extra help and he's getting it and one that needs extra challenges and she's getting it. There is a K-1 school, Waverly, which is pretty unique and really focuses on early learning. There are 2 schools for 2-5th grades - Greenvale and Anne Hutchinson. Both are good. I believe all the self contained classes are at Anne Hutch. My friends who have kids in the middle and high schools seem to like them.

I'd say Eastchester is more diverse than Bronxville and probably comparable to Scarsdale. Eastchester has a growing ex-pat community that is moving here vs. Scarsdale due to cost. I wouldn't characterize it as a very diverse town but most Westchester towns won't be.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:02 PM

7 posts, read 44,655 times
Thanks for your responses. I am leaning towards Eastchester as well. Although, within my price point only small single family homes fit.

How are the townhouses in the area? Is there any social taboo for staying in townhouses? Can't believe I am asking this question but want to make sure our decision does not put kids in any uncomfortable situation

Old 07-03-2008, 04:08 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,914,590 times
Some of the newer townhouses are more luxurious in the area than some of the singles. I don't think there would be any stigma for the children, but it would not provide them with tons of outdoor space. And, there's nothing wrong with some of the smaller singles in the area, since many are vintage, and you can always put an addition on at later date if you need the space and love the neighborhood.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:20 PM

2,441 posts, read 5,917,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB456 View Post
Thanks for your responses. I am leaning towards Eastchester as well. Although, within my price point only small single family homes fit.

How are the townhouses in the area? Is there any social taboo for staying in townhouses? Can't believe I am asking this question but want to make sure our decision does not put kids in any uncomfortable situation
There is no social taboo. It's just not that kind of town. And tons of people live in coop apartment buildings. Take a drive down Garth Road and check it out.

Schools are great.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:55 PM

148 posts, read 837,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Eastchester is a nice town, and is a bit more relaxed than some of the other areas nearby. I know people who lived here and liked it. The schools are basically on par with its neighbors, depending upon which scores you use to judge the basis. Other towns in the area with highly rated school districts would be Bronxville (village, not the Yonkers district), Tuckahoe (very small district), Larchmont/Mamaroneck, Scarsdale, and Pelham. You would likely want to stay out of the Hartsdale, Mount Vernon, and Yonkers districts as they do not perform as well as others in this area.

Pelham is nice, but it's close to both Mount Vernon and parts of the Bronx, which is not in iteself a bad thing, but one needs to be careful as to which part of Pelam in which they choose to reside. Pelham Manor and the Village of Pelham are best, and you do get a better value than you do in Larchmont. $800k in Pelham would likely get you a smaller home on a city sized lot, and these are likely to be from the early-mid 20th Century. Pelham, itself, is a secure town, and has a good police presence, but the downtown is okay, nothing extraordinary.

For single family homes, Bronxville (village of, not Yonkers with Bronxville post office), Larchmont, and Scarsdale (not scarsdale post office, but town of) will be tough at the price point. You might find a limited supply in Tuckahoe and Ardsley. Mamaroneck offers some more choices, but the downtown is not as nice as Larchmont or Scarsdale, but Mamaroneck offers proximity to Larchmont, since they are both part of the Town of Mamaroneck. Eastchester is close to Scarsdale and Bronxville, though it's likely a quick car trip as opposed to a stroll to the village. Eastchester does have a good shopping district on White Plains Road, and features some large shopping plazas, but is not as compact a walkable village as others nearby.
Eastchester is very middle class, not really diverse socio-economically or racially and schools are good. It is comparable to Tuckahoe perhaps but really very different from the other towns mentioned in so many regards.
At least 66% of the single family homes in Eastchester and Tuckahoe are less than $800k so I am sure you will find something there although the inventory of homes in the market is low there.

Here are the some differences facts from the real estate listings and sales. www.houlihanlawrence.com is a good website for seeing the prices in these areas, it lists all the homes in the mls.

Eastchester - Most single family homes in the Eastchester school district (more than 66% the homes) are in the price range you are looking for less than $800k. Single family homes range from about $500k to $3.5m

Tuckahoe - Most single family homes in Tuckahoe School district (more than 66% of the homes are in the price range you are looking for less than $800k. Proportionally Tuckahoe has a lot of co-ops/condos so you can also find something there. Single family homes in Tuckahoe range from about $500k to $2.5m.

Pelham- Less than 45% percent of the single family homes in Pelham are in the price range you are looking for (less than $800k).Single family homes in Pelham range from about $500k to $3.5m.

Scarsdale Village - Only 10 single homes less than $800k. homes typically range from to $10M (sometimes higher than that for instance, there is a home on the market for $16.85M now).

Larchmont Village - Only 6 single family homes less than $800k, homes range from about $500k to $10M (sometimes more than that).

Bronxville Village - Only 2 single family homes less than $800k, homes range from about $700k to $10M (sometimes more than that).

Rye - Only 18 single family homes less than $800k, homes range from about $500k to $10M (sometimes more than that).

Mamaroneck - Less than 45% percent of the single family homes in the Mamaroneck are in the price range you are looking for (less than $800k). Single family homes in Mamaroneck typically range from about $500k to $10M (Sometimes more than that, for instance at the moment the most expensive home is $18m)

Mount Vernon, Yonkers and Hartsdale (Greenburgh School District) are among the worst school districts in Westchester.

Last edited by Ekulu; 07-07-2008 at 02:18 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 02:02 PM

148 posts, read 837,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl128 View Post
I agree with bmwguy's assessment

My kids are in the Eastchester schools and so far we're very happy. I have one that needs extra help and he's getting it and one that needs extra challenges and she's getting it. There is a K-1 school, Waverly, which is pretty unique and really focuses on early learning. There are 2 schools for 2-5th grades - Greenvale and Anne Hutchinson. Both are good. I believe all the self contained classes are at Anne Hutch. My friends who have kids in the middle and high schools seem to like them.

I'd say Eastchester is more diverse than Bronxville and probably comparable to Scarsdale. Eastchester has a growing ex-pat community that is moving here vs. Scarsdale due to cost. I wouldn't characterize it as a very diverse town but most Westchester towns won't be.
I would not consider Eastchester to be diverse although perhaps like you said there are some Asian families moving there now instead of Scarsdale and Edgemont for cost reasons. Bronxville is very expensive and the entry point for home purchase is relatively higher than similar Westchester towns so I have always felt that was its reason for lack of diversity, I have never understood Eatschester's lack of diversity. I am glad to hear it is becoming more diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County