U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-16-2007, 06:30 PM
 
133 posts, read 611,252 times
Reputation: 94

Advertisements

I have another question about Westchester schools. As I have stated before, I live overseas in Singapore. Our children are very sheltered and this place is extremely safe. I read a lot about the drinking and drugs that go on in the Westchester High schools (such as Scarsdale, etc). Is this a huge problem? I am a bit nervous about returning to the US to expose problems such as these to my kids.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2007, 01:39 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
2,806 posts, read 15,962,732 times
Reputation: 1111
Wai lao! You think Singaporean kids don't drink? ;-)

Well a lot of American kids engage in such activity, at least the drinking part. Smoking pot is a tad bit less widespread among teenagers but it still occurs to a large degree. Of course it all depends on what type of crowd your kid hangs with. If he/she hangs out in certain circles then drinking/drugs won't be an issue.

In all honesty though, a lot of Asian, specifically Chinese, parents are able to shelter their kids from drinking/drugs and this is generally not such a big issue among Asian-Americans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2007, 06:32 AM
 
133 posts, read 611,252 times
Reputation: 94
I never said Singaporean kids don't drink. And I am not Singaporean...or Asian for that matter. I am just saying that drugs and pot and heavy partying on the weekends just doesn't seem to be that common here in the International Schools or in Singapore. I have read that Scarsdale has had some serious problems. I also just hear about High Schools at home, in general. I was just wondering if it is a problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2007, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
2,806 posts, read 15,962,732 times
Reputation: 1111
Oh sorry, I was confusing you with another poster who was Singaporean. My bad.

Yeah but thats because people get hanged for drug dealing in Singapore. If the same was done in the USA then it wouldn't be such a problem.

Just keep a good eye on your kids and it shouldn't be such a problem. As long as they aren't hanging out with the wrong crowd or something like that then I don't see why this would be an issue.

If on the other hand both the mother and farther are working all the time and the kids are basically raising themselves, then it could be more of an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsing View Post
I never said Singaporean kids don't drink. And I am not Singaporean...or Asian for that matter. I am just saying that drugs and pot and heavy partying on the weekends just doesn't seem to be that common here in the International Schools or in Singapore. I have read that Scarsdale has had some serious problems. I also just hear about High Schools at home, in general. I was just wondering if it is a problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2007, 10:27 AM
 
133 posts, read 611,252 times
Reputation: 94
Thanks! Luckily for me, I don't work and I am very involved in my kids lives. I just have been overseas for sometime now and am a bit fearful of comng back to the US. I have seen it change for the worse over the past 10 years. But, we are at a point in our kids lives that we need to stay here in Singapore or come home. We could stay here and let them finish middle schoolhigh school in a place that has kind of a "pretend reality" (although very easy and safe) and no sense of belonging to a community to a place where we can settle and they can establish life long friends and plant some roots. We are originally from the south. But, because of our worldy experiences, we know we can never go back there. The NY area seems to be the place that we would be more likely to relate to. I worry sometimes that my desire to come home could overshadow the fact that we have a really good situation in a very complicated world. The exposure to drugs and such makes me hesitant to pursue this move. (We do have the option to stay or go.) So, any advice on this would be great to hear!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2007, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Boston
137 posts, read 978,479 times
Reputation: 68
I went to high school in Westchester. Drinking and drugs are a huge part of high school. There are definitely kids who resist the scene, but almost every party the "popular kids" have has drinking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2007, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,203 posts, read 26,330,761 times
Reputation: 3938
There is no question that high school here in the States will differ dramatically from Singapore--solely because of the cultural differences. Scarsdale HS will not be more drug-party than Pelham or White Plains.

Parents though can exercise some control, but not sufficient control to offset peer pressures and peer involvement. I was very active in my children's lives, but I wasn't with them 7/24.

It's a balancing act--being a parent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsing View Post
Thanks! Luckily for me, I don't work and I am very involved in my kids lives. I just have been overseas for sometime now and am a bit fearful of comng back to the US. I have seen it change for the worse over the past 10 years. But, we are at a point in our kids lives that we need to stay here in Singapore or come home. We could stay here and let them finish middle schoolhigh school in a place that has kind of a "pretend reality" (although very easy and safe) and no sense of belonging to a community to a place where we can settle and they can establish life long friends and plant some roots. We are originally from the south. But, because of our worldy experiences, we know we can never go back there. The NY area seems to be the place that we would be more likely to relate to. I worry sometimes that my desire to come home could overshadow the fact that we have a really good situation in a very complicated world. The exposure to drugs and such makes me hesitant to pursue this move. (We do have the option to stay or go.) So, any advice on this would be great to hear!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2007, 07:13 PM
 
100 posts, read 611,983 times
Reputation: 82
Seriously this is something to expect in any suburban school, not just Westchester County. Let's face it, kids dont have much to do apart from school and sports that they end up hanging out and partying with their friends. This is what happens when you live in an area where kids cannot really hang out anywhere or enjoy any cultural life.

Also when they do start drinking you will know. This is where your responsibility as parents come in. You must advise your child or children of the dangers of drugs and alcohol. And even if they do engage in this activity, despite your warnings, you can still try and prevent them. Too many parents in Westchester knowingly let their kids have drugs/alchol and even let them throw parties in the house, and then claim ignorance on the matter. You do not have to be one of them.

This is the question that you cannot avoid, no matter where you live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2007, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Lower Ny
5 posts, read 17,432 times
Reputation: 13
Sounds like it boiles down to being a personal choice America/Singapore.
Kids will be kids as I'm sure you know and Westchester is has nothing to do with it or how accepting your children are or will be to the things you've sheltered them from.
Everything changes, the world is no exception
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2007, 05:01 PM
 
Location: The Bronx
1,590 posts, read 1,533,991 times
Reputation: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmos View Post
Seriously this is something to expect in any suburban school, not just Westchester County. Let's face it, kids dont have much to do apart from school and sports that they end up hanging out and partying with their friends. This is what happens when you live in an area where kids cannot really hang out anywhere or enjoy any cultural life.
My experience was mixed. I lived in an area that was so far out in the Borough of Queens that it really had a Long Island flavor to it. But I went to HS in Manhattan. So, I had two sets of friends.

By far, the biggest drinkers and druggies I knew were among the suburban kids. That's why I tell people; move out here for the safety? guess again.

Boredom kills.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:07 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top