Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 7,004 times

Advertisements

Relocating to Westchester from Toronto. I have found some nice places in Briarcliff, but I have 2 questions.
Looks like the schools are Ossining - I'm really only interested in the elementary school, as kids are very young and we are likely only here for 3-4 years. Any real concerns with quality of elementary schools in ossining? I don't have an issue with a slightly more diverse classroom for my son.
2nd question - Scarborough train station. Looks like I will never be able to park there, but in peak times do you get a seat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 09:09 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,171,686 times
Question 1: While some people on this forum have very negative things to say about Ossining schools, I have heard nothing but praise from people I know whose kids are in the Elementary schools there. Most, though not all, kids are placed in one of the many special programs and the only complaint I've heard from parents is that they are pretty accelerated and there is lots of homework. If at all possible, I suggest visiting the schools in person--it is the only way to get a real sense of the quality of any school.

Question 2: Yes, you'll get a seat on the train in rush hour. The trains that stop at Scarborough begin at Croton or Ossining and do not fill up untill Tarrytown (the last stop before Manhattan).

Old 07-07-2008, 06:33 PM

223 posts, read 824,200 times
some of Briarcliff is in Briarcliff schools, some in Ossining, Briarcliff schools are excellent, but you will pay more for your house. Trains are fine at Scarborough-they even have valet parking now so space is not a problem anymore

Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 PM

371 posts, read 1,562,230 times
My niece and nephew go to the elementary schools in Ossining. They love their school and my sister seems to be happy with the schools so far. She is more worried about middle and high school but that might not be a concern for you since you will only be there a few years. The diversity because of illegal aliens brings down the scores of the school and alot of people turn their noses down on Ossining schools because of this. I think you should go and visit. They have 3 schools for elementary, I think!

Old 07-07-2008, 11:02 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,171,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
The diversity because of illegal aliens brings down the scores of the school and alot of people turn their noses down on Ossining schools because of this.
Not to start a political debate (again), but I believe you mean "the diversity because of the Latino population..." While there are certainly some illegal aliens in Ossining, the majority of the Latino population there is legal, and most of the Latino kids in elementary school were born here and therefore are legal regardless of their parents' status. In any case, the legal status of the kids is completely irrelevant to your point--which is that the large population of kids who are not proficient in English brings down the school's test scores. Not being completely proficient in English affects one's ability to pass tests in English, but not having a Green Card doesn't make any difference on one's test-taking abilities.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:50 AM

150 posts, read 723,897 times
Part of Briarcliff Manor (village) is in the town of Mt. Pleasant and in this case all those homes go to Briarcliff schools - the other part belongs to the town of Ossising and some homes go to Briarcliff schools and some go to Ossising. Briarcliff (which is where i live) has great schools, Ossising is not as desirable but I'm sure they are good. Just do your homework to figure out which school system will work best for your children.

I never had a problem finding a parking space at Scarborough (you may have to walk a bit - large train station) and there are always seats beause there are only two or so stops before the train arrives at Scarborough.

By the way, I am selling my house so let me know if you want any information - I'm in the town of Mt. Pleasant (Briarcliff schools)

Last edited by Frangi914; 07-09-2008 at 04:05 AM..

Old 07-10-2008, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 7,004 times
Thanks - all very helpful. Valet parking at Scarborough? Interesting idea, wonder what that costs? To the previous poster - Scarborough is a large train station? That certainly wasn't my impression, and parking seemed quite limited.

On the schools, we discovered another possible option. St. Augustine's - a private catholic school. Anyone know anything about this school, good or bad?

Old 07-11-2008, 11:23 AM

223 posts, read 824,200 times
It is free but you need a permit-the town implemented it due to less parking during renovations of train station. The permit is $350 annually but I think next year its over $500.
The train station is not huge compared to others like Tarrytown Croton-about 300 -400 spots. Especially with the way the tracks are set up now for the construction the walk is only a few minutes to the tracks. Its more due to the location of the permanent tracks but never more than a 5 min walk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County