U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:05 AM

110 posts, read 469,601 times

Advertisements

Rockland County is def within the travle time to the city The public schools are very good here I use to commute to the city ( mid town) by bus and it would take me about an hour Rents are are affordable and with your price range you can def rent a nice 3-4 bedroom home. Some areas to look at based on School Districts are: Clarkstown/ School district Clarkstown South, Orangetown/ School districts So Orangetown, Pearl River,Nyack , Rampo/ school district;
Best wishes

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-19-2008 at 12:04 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 11:58 AM

350 posts, read 917,941 times
If you go the this link you can view school test scores in NYC and the surrounding suburbs:

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/nyctestscores/

Most of the school districts in Westchester score well. I recall reading that the schools in Scarsdale, Rye and Chappaqua were among the highest scoring with areas such as Pleasantville, Briarcliff, Irvington, Mamaroneck, Hasting-On-Hudson, Croton-on-Hudson, Dobbs Ferry also scoring well. I believe over 90% of the kids passed in all of these school districts. The areas vary. Some areas such as Scarsdale and Rye which have nice central villages and tree lined roads. Some areas such as Croton-On-Hudson seem more rural with easy access to scenic parks on the Hudson River or in the mountain foot hills. I don't think any of these areas are more than a 45 minute commute. Some areas such as Dobbs Ferry, Hastings-On-Hudson and Irvington probably have a 30 mintue or less train ride.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,100 times
Default Moving to NY too

We are also moving to NY from Australia with kids 7 and 12.
Husband is working in mid town Manhattan.

This forum has been invaluable for learning about areas in Westchester. Some people have told us that we would enjoy living in Brooklyn and a couple of others have recommended New Jersey. Does anyone know if there are any good public schools in those areas?

Old 09-27-2008, 07:21 AM

350 posts, read 917,941 times
I considered moving to Brooklyn Heights, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill or Park Slope but what made me choose not to move there is the fact that after 5th grade, my son would probably have to go to private school. The test scores for Brooklyn schools drop considerably after you get to the middle school level. Westchester, for the most part, has very good test scores.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:20 AM

701 posts, read 3,068,444 times
If working anywhere near Grand Central, then you won't beat Westchester for convenence of commute and great schools. Total commutes can run under an hour door to door, with 30 to 45 minute train rides. In your budget, you should be able to find rentals in many desirable areas. Search by school district as opposed to town. A partial list of districts: Scarsdale, edgemont, Irvington, ardsley, mamaroneck, rye, blind brook. Train commute is under 40 minutes from those areas. Within another 10 minutes, you can add Pleasantville, Chappaqua, armonk, briarcliff and even Croton.

Brooklyn has some great areas if you like urban living, but many people would opt for private schools.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:23 AM

701 posts, read 3,068,444 times
I would not suggest New Jersey for a Grand Central neighborhood commute. Westchester trains go to Grand Central. Regions of New Jersey provide access to downtown and Penn Station.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:22 PM

45 posts, read 139,319 times
Having lived in NYC all my life I have to say you have options in Manhattan as well - unless you want to rent a house vs an apt. I have family in Westchester and am there frequently so can compare the two. You will not need a car in Manhattan and will save on the monthly train. Working by grand central lets you even walk to work if you prefer. Numerous public school on the upper east side ( other areas as well but I am not familar with the exact areas)are excellent to grade 4. If it is ok for you, then I would suggest looking into parochial schools to gr 8 or up to 12. The specialized public schools are excellent for HS.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:51 AM

11 posts, read 31,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckscountyer View Post
Hi Justinel -- Would you kindly let me know if you turn up any other helpful information? In the next couple of months, our family will be in the exact same position as yours and I am trying to find a suitable hometo rent in New York or New Jersey. Thanks!
We ended up renting a house in Fairfield County CT which is an hour commute for my husband into Manhattan, he doesn't mind though as he was sitting in peak hour traffic in Sydney for that long anyway, and now he takes his laptop or reads newspapers etc. The public schools are fantastic here and its a great town, rental prices not too bad. We wanted a bigger house with bigger land so we chose to go a bit further out of town. Really nice though. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County