Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 06:11 PM

39 posts, read 215,512 times

Advertisements

I'm working on a relocation from Boston, and have two young kids. Hubby will be working in midtown, I'm a stay at home mom.

These three towns seem to have short train rides into Grand Central and very well respected public schools -- my two primary criteria for a town. How do they compare to each other in the ways I can't search a database to know about?

I'd love to hear about character of the towns, type of people living there, activities, traffic within town, ease of shopping for groceries, any other everyday sort of details...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 08:00 PM

101 posts, read 461,770 times
There are very different vibes in each of these towns. Hastings is a "rivertown", has more of a laid back feel. It is a liberal place- lots of artists and writers live there. Cute downtown area and the waterfront is beautiful. People move to Edgemont for the schools. They are considered the best schools in Westchester. It is part of Scarsdale. There is no town center, no village area. Larchmont- would be the most expensive town of the above three- although all pricey places. It has a great downtown and waterfront. There are many boutiques and restaurants. Larchmont has a large French/European population. Larchmont is part of the Mamaroneck school district. Schools merge in middle school. It is a large school district w diversity- and lots to offer to students.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 PM

148 posts, read 878,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia32 View Post
There are very different vibes in each of these towns. Hastings is a "rivertown", has more of a laid back feel. It is a liberal place- lots of artists and writers live there. Cute downtown area and the waterfront is beautiful. People move to Edgemont for the schools. They are considered the best schools in Westchester. It is part of Scarsdale. There is no town center, no village area. Larchmont- would be the most expensive town of the above three- although all pricey places. It has a great downtown and waterfront. There are many boutiques and restaurants. Larchmont has a large French/European population. Larchmont is part of the Mamaroneck school district. Schools merge in middle school. It is a large school district w diversity- and lots to offer to students.
I agree with most of your comments Nadia32, but just wanted to say that Edgemont is not part of Scarsdale Village, Edgemont has a Scarsdale post office address but it is actually in the unincorporated part of the Town of Greenburgh. They have their own school district separate from Scarsdale School District and their recreational and library facilities etc are provided by the Town of Greenburgh not Scarsdale Village.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:03 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calla View Post
I'm working on a relocation from Boston, and have two young kids. Hubby will be working in midtown, I'm a stay at home mom.
Can only offer information about Hastings:

Decent school system (though it really only reaches the middle of the bell curve)

Great commute

Walkable community

Pretty cliquish

Decent shopping

Good restaurants

High taxes

Filled with Yankee fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County