U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 07:59 AM
L-1 L-1 started this thread

8 posts, read 47,110 times

Advertisements

To start off, hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this.

One of the things apparent to me now that I've lived in the Hudson Valley for about eight years is the lack of awareness of some of our best local businesses outside of their immediate communities. We have some incredible cafes, bars, services, restaurants and other businesses that seem to have a hard time finding main stream success, and sometimes even fail, because they seem to lack the ability to become known outside of their local market.

I've got a long line of experience as a marketing professional serving both small businesses and huge corporations and am now considering leaving my post at a NYC Wall Street firm (call it disgust with the industry if you'd like) and am interested in venturing out on my own. My goal would be to, for a fee, raise awareness of small businesses in Westchester and grow their client base. I would offer services such as flier design, print and distribution, web site consultation and marketing presentation consultation (setting up the business to attract customers). I'd also like to start a membership program whereby individual members and their families receive discounts at any of my participating client businesses and, in the longer term, receive a periodical highlighting new clients and services with write ups of their offerings and coupons. Further, participating small businesses will be given discounts at other participating member businesses thereby allowing both revenue and awareness to grow by operating a closed loop system. For example, if you own a deli you and need print services I would refer you to the 'in network' printer who would in-turn offer a small discount. When the printer needs lunch, he would turn to the deli, who would offer the same or similar discount (say 5-10%) or other promotion (free coffee with order for example).

My questions are thus: Do you think there is room or reason for this type of service? Business owners, would you be willing to pay a fee for this type of service? Residents, is this the type of thing that would interest you? Would you like to participate in a network that offered you discounts at participating local businesses? I understand cost is a factor and I'm still in the inception phase so I can't offer what the exact cost would be. However, to turn the question around, how much would you be willing to pay for these types of services?

Please don't take this as an advertisement or solicitation- I'm just one guy interested in seeing if I can start a business helping others because, frankly, I'm tired of being in the business of taking from others. I understand this would amount to about twice the work at half the pay but I just want to do something that feels good for a change. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks again for taking the time to read this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: