Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 02:47 PM

22 posts, read 330,026 times

Advertisements

we are looking to move to westchester in the near future.
what are the schools like in white plains? i'm hearing mixed reviews.
thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 10:47 PM

295 posts, read 1,504,946 times
Default schools

Depends on what you are considering. Westchester, overall, has great schools.

On this website... if you search, you can find a link to SAT scores of High schools.

If you google public elementary schools, you can do a side-by-side comparison across many different criteria. Private schools are more difficult to compare.

That being said...it's hard to judge what criteria to follow. Do SAT scores make a school? Is diversity important? What class size are you looking for? Do you want foreign language offered? How much of an increase in tax are you willing to tolerate to be in the "#1 school district"? It's all personal.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:12 AM

9 posts, read 32,223 times
My son attended post road school from 1-6th and loved it. He had a few adjustment problems and the teachers really catered to him and helped him get up to par with his grades. He's going into 8th now and still likes to visit them. They are currently building a bigger Post road school on the schools playground because of what they call school overcrowding.
He currently attends Highlands middle school and I'm not as pleased with this school. The school is huge (about 1,200 students) and kids really have to stand out(positive or negative) to get attention. Because of the size of the school, alot of onus is put on the kids in 7th grade which is completely different one year prior. Many teachers will tell you that with 4-5 classes of 28 kids to tend to, they cannot always dedicate time to you or your kids needs when necessary.
as far as the social aspect of it- my son came home and told me he wanted an iphone ( the first one- the one that cost $499) because most of his friends had one. That was a big fat no- but the kids are started early in the expensive gifts and spoiling department.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 10,369 times
My sister lives in White Plains and her three kids went through the schools there. Overall she and her husband have been satisfied with them. They say that the important thing is for the kids to get into the fast track program there, where the college bound kids go. Even so, my sister has voiced concern that the academic program is not challenging enough, but she has very high standards and expects all her kids to get graduate degrees after college. I have heard the kids speak highly of some of their teachers, who seem to take a real interest in the kids.

The schools seem to have a bit of racial tension. No violence, but the kids break down into three groups - African American, Latino, and white (about a third each), and pretty much stick to their own group. I have heard the kids talk about classmates who have gotten pregnant and about the availability of drugs, but these problems are not rampant.

All the kids made great friends there and the school has good extra-curricular activities. The high school has a terrific physical plant and attractive grounds. Two of my sister's kids went on to college and one is in the high school. One of the kids has had medical issues which interfere with school, and the school has been very accommodating and helpful. All three kids are happy and like their school.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:54 AM

54 posts, read 156,044 times
Quote:
The school is huge (about 1,200 students) and kids really have to stand out(positive or negative) to get attention.
It's not because of the size. It's how it is. There will be people who go with the wind, and then there will be people who stick out. For good, and for bad. White Plains is no different. If you are white, have money, and are intelligent - Then you will have absolutely no problems getting through the school. The teachers, and staff will love you.

Quote:
as far as the social aspect of it- my son came home and told me he wanted an iphone ( the first one- the one that cost $499) because most of his friends had one. That was a big fat no- but the kids are started early in the expensive gifts and spoiling department.
With buildings such as the Ritz Carlton (and many others) popping up, where studios are selling for over 700,000 - It's only going to get more expensive (social-wise). If you refuse to lay out $500 for an iPhone, then, you -really- are going to get thrown back when high-school comes.

Quote:
The schools seem to have a bit of racial tension. No violence, but the kids break down into three groups - African American, Latino, and white (about a third each), and pretty much stick to their own group.
Not always. Granted, there is some separation. But, it's not a "I can't talk to you because you are black/latino/white." - Everyone talks to each other. When I attended Highlands, I had black friends. I had asian friends. I had latino friends. I had white friends. I was friends with.. everyone. Although, at the end of the day, I did tend to take a seat back and relax with your close, usually same-race friends.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 24,483 times
I suggest you call the superintendent of schools and ask them for a tour with your child. You can always visit greatschools.net, I have heard good things about that website.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:52 AM

135 posts, read 548,052 times
Default white plains schools

I attended St bernard's Elementary School from 1951-59. It was q very good school at the time, sot sure about now.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:10 PM

11,291 posts, read 18,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headinwest View Post
Many other Westchester districts border on being "Beverly Hills" rich in some areas so this is nothing......

Old 08-18-2009, 11:21 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearringtonflash View Post
I attended St bernard's Elementary School from 1951-59. It was q very good school at the time, sot sure about now.
Wow. you got some history. If you don't mind me asking, how was the local neighborhood back then? I'm originally from a little further down the hill on lexington, between post and fisher. I've seen video footage from my grandfather of the area in the 50/60's but I always love to hear first hand accounts of how things were back then.

as far as the Elementary School at St Bernard's, I'm not sure.

I know they have some sort of school there now but i'm sure at which capacity it functions in.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:19 AM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Archbishop Stepinac for boys and Good Counsel for girls, could be options, if one doesn't want to go the public school route for High school too. I think there might be some other private schools in White Plains as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County