Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:15 PM

8 posts, read 58,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn-mom View Post
I grew up in Westchester and now live in Brookly -- also looking to move to burbs in near future.

What I've read a lot about Ardsley Schools is that they are supposed to have a good program for Autism Spectrum kids. I don't know any details about this -- what exactly the structure of that program is.

I agree with the "not aesthetically pleasing" thing, because when I've been reading about Ardsley's good schools, I haven't been able to get my head around accepting Ardsley because I've always seen it as more of a road that I often take and less as a town -- it's non-descript and architechture unattractive. But seems woodsy I guess. There is no cute littl town really, just a few dated little strip malls (I believe).

I didn't realize that all of Ardsley is not elegible to go to Greenburgh pool. But, even so -- I've heard Greenburg pool was a good facility, but as a kid, I witnessed behaviors of Greenburg kids and it wasn't so great. The Greenburg school district the percentage of kids at NYS standards is 2% -- from my NYC experience inappropriate behavior that I wouldn't want to expose my kid to usually goes hand in hand with those kinds of scores. So I suspect the Greenburg kids are still pretty much what they were like when I lived in Westchester. I have a feeling that the Greenburg pool would be chaotic and not a good place to take my family because of it. This is my concern, but I still hear people say that it's so great in blogs, so I'm not at all sure what to excpect with that. It deters me from looking at Edgemont as well, even though Edgemont is beautiful with great schools. What's the REAL story with that Greenburgh pool facility?
The Greenburgh pool facility is pretty much what it was, a mixed bag. I would use it on occasion, but most people in Edgmont and Ardsley pay up to go to one of the private pools in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 12:40 PM

10 posts, read 97,638 times
jyyanks -- you've been extremely informative. THANKS!!

Old 07-17-2010, 08:54 AM

10 posts, read 79,429 times
HI
I realize this is an old post but wondering if you had any new thoughts on the Ardsley school district? It will be a bit of a commute for me since I am working in Bridgeport so would prefer to live in Rye however if it is really the best place for kids on the autism spectrum then it will be best for my son (6 PDDnos) thanks!

Old 07-17-2010, 03:25 PM

95 posts, read 249,750 times
Default The Greenburgh pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn-mom View Post
What's the REAL story with that Greenburgh pool facility?
I belong to that pool and go there all the time. (In fact, we just got back from it an hour ago.) We find it very convenient because it is literally 5 minutes from my house in Hartsdale.

We absolutely love the pool, it is a fantastic amenity. Very family friendly. I grew up in the Bronx and have lived in Yonkers as well, so I know what "sketchy" pools look and feel like, but Greenburgh pool feels like a country club to me. Are there teenagers there? Sure, but they are not rowdy or disruptive at all.

I'm curious as to why some people think that pool is questionable. I've been going there for months and don't see anything of the sort.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:34 PM

11,247 posts, read 18,739,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonmommoving View Post
HI
I realize this is an old post but wondering if you had any new thoughts on the Ardsley school district? It will be a bit of a commute for me since I am working in Bridgeport so would prefer to live in Rye however if it is really the best place for kids on the autism spectrum then it will be best for my son (6 PDDnos) thanks!
Depending on your hours the commute to Bridgeport may not be too bad. I commuted from Mt. Vernon to Bridgeport for a temporary job from December to June this year. Hours were roughly 7:45 to 3:45 so that may be why I almost never had traffic though and took only about 40 minutes or so.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 9,524 times
I live in Ardsley and my kids are in the school district. One of which gets special services. The program and staff are wonderful.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,439 times
Ardsley's special ed programs that have been touted in the press and in some of these responses may be the services provided to severely autistic children. When it comes to high functioning autism, other PDDs, Asperger's, there is more denial than support-- denial of services and denial and misinterpretation of behaviors and characteristics of those disorders.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 AM

132 posts, read 513,022 times
That was not my personal experience with a high functioning son on the spectrum and another son who is twice exceptional (gifted and adhd). Ardsley did a great job getting them all the services they needed. We only left the district because we were renting in a small place and wanted to get more land and house for our money. We're now in N. Westchester. The school here is workable but nothing like Ardsley.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,121 times
We are planning a move to NY from out of state due to a job relocation. My daughter has an anxiety disorder known as Selective Mutism and in need of special education services. I was wondering if there was any middle school in Westchester County that has services and experience in working with children with this diagnosis? Public or private schools. We will settle in the community where she can receive services. Would appreciate any feedback since I know nothing about NY schools. Thanks so much!

Old 11-22-2015, 07:12 PM

2,617 posts, read 6,990,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradaay View Post
We are planning a move to NY from out of state due to a job relocation. My daughter has an anxiety disorder known as Selective Mutism and in need of special education services. I was wondering if there was any middle school in Westchester County that has services and experience in working with children with this diagnosis? Public or private schools. We will settle in the community where she can receive services. Would appreciate any feedback since I know nothing about NY schools. Thanks so much!
Please start your own thread instead of adding to another, which is not just several years old, but has nothing whatever to do with your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County