U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 6,232 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a French mother of a 4 yr old daughter. For the past ten years I have lived and worked in Manhattan. Hoping to eventually separate from my child's father (abusive relationship) and move with daugher to the suburbs. Even though my little girl is currently on the Autism spectrum, she is expected to be mainstreamed by age 5 or 6.

I'd like to move to Bronxville Village for three reasons: 1) Schools' reputation, 2) short commute to work -28 mins, 3) the Village gives me (at least) the illusion of being in NY or Paris!

My second option would have been Larchmont, but my husband's ex lives there and she is not the friendly face one'd like to meet everyday at the Supermarket.

My budget is 500K and we have a dog (Bxville is so very restrictive towards dogs!)

Any ideas out there? Many thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 04:40 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,737,309 times
Bronxville Village is probably not realistic with a $500k budget, since you have to be within the village borders for the school districts. If I were in your shoes, I would look in nearby areas, including Pelham, Eastchester, and Tuckahoe. In Pelham, you would likely be able to find cozy house on a small lot, so that it would not be an issue with your dog. The town has great schools, and there is proximity to local shopping and such, and you're not all that far from Bronxville to go to the cinema and shops and all, since I think you'd rather avoid Larchmont completely.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 6,232 times
thanks bmwguydc!

Old 07-29-2008, 11:57 AM

15 posts, read 57,161 times
You might wanna take a look at Ardsley. They have a great special ed program and I have her that people are happy with their Autism help. You can get a small 2 bedroom, 2 and a half bath house they for about $490,000. With your budget you can get a few things in Bronxville and even the Edgemont school district.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:33 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,737,309 times
Ardsley might be a good alternative, although it's not directly on the train route as are Bronxville, Pelham, Scarsdale, etc. You would also have a short drive to Bronxville from Ardsley, so you could stroll and shop in the treasure that is the village relatively easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County