U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 06:59 PM

350 posts, read 932,596 times

Advertisements

Hi - Can anybody give me a approximation of how much annual fuel and electricity costs would be for a 2000 square foot house in Westchester?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 07:07 PM

253 posts, read 404,504 times
Default It's expensive. We have a 2400 sq ft house.

Gas Heat and cental air. This past year winter bills average $700 - $800 a month, summer $300 - $400 a month. We are planning to re-insulate this year to see if if helps with the bills. Also, someone is home all day so the heat/AC is on most of the time.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:09 AM

350 posts, read 932,596 times
Josmyth - Thanks. To conserve energy you might also want to look into ceiling fans. I had them in my previous home and I didn't need to run the air conditioner until the temperature got close to 80 degrees.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:38 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,945,719 times
Talking ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrisle View Post
Hi - Can anybody give me a approximation of how much annual fuel and electricity costs would be for a 2000 square foot house in Westchester?
Each house is different as is each homeowner...some will keep the heat at 72 degrees all day...others at 68...same goes with the air conditioning...so what goes for one...may not go for you...

When I bought my first house...the sellers were elderly looking to move to Florida...they kept the heat high in the winter and the A/C low in the summer...The first thing I did was put in a Programable Thermostat...although I am not sure what it did for me...I can tell you that when I put one in a friends house...their overall bills for electric and gas went down 25%....so I guess they work...next was insulation in the attic, then windows/weather stripping around the doors/etc...and a new furnace...(a new furnace alone can save you 30% if you believe the adds)...My overall bills for electric and gas dropped so much...that the utility company sent out an investigator to see if I was stealing......so I guess the improvements worked...

Old 08-08-2008, 06:57 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,155,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josmyth View Post
Gas Heat and cental air. This past year winter bills average $700 - $800 a month, summer $300 - $400 a month. We are planning to re-insulate this year to see if if helps with the bills. Also, someone is home all day so the heat/AC is on most of the time.
We've managed to get the heat for a 1700 SF split around $500 using gas. Set the thermostat at 66 or so.

Summer, we're consistently at $300-$400 a month with the air raging. We have, however, replaced just about every light in the house with a fluorescent. We do have some computer gear that's on all the time.

Nevertheless, the kids STILL don't realize that the same switch that turns the lights on turns them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County