Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,719 times

Advertisements

Many of the other comments were true inclucing the fact that apartments in the $1000 range are rare. In a community that would be 30 to 45 minutes from White Plains that is safe you will pay from $1300 to $2000 for a decent 2 BR. I wasn't sure if you have kids or not but typically the better schools are in the more expensive areas. For good schools and some diversity you might want to look at Mount Kisco, NY. (20 minutes to White Plains). You will pay $1300 to $1700 for a 2BR in a nice 2 Family House and $1700 to $2100 in an apartment building. You might want to look at Ossining. The communitry is diverse (similar to the racial makeup of your town and the rent will be a bit lower than Mount Kisco. The town is not quite as nice but it is not too bad. The schools are under rated too. My first cousin is a teacher in the district and her kids are doing great! The only way to save $ on rent is to move north to Putnam County. The problem is that you lose some of the diversity and the gas and time driving will eat up your rent savings.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie07 View Post
hi i live in metro detroit michigan and am thinking of moving to westchester county new york for a job

can someone tell me what cities are family friendly i have a 4 year old and what school districts or cities to avoid

i want an area that is racially diverse not all white but not more than 20% black either

and i also need advice on where to rent an apt or house 2 bedroom and what cities are more reasonable than others

most places i have checked want 1100-1500 a month and for michigan standards that is outrageous

are than any place where rent is 1000 or less in a nice area in any city in westchester county or close to westchester county

i have no knowledge of new york and could really use some help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 07:18 PM

58 posts, read 290,305 times
Hi Terrie!!!

Ironically two years ago exact almost I moved from Taylor MI to Westchester--- I am in a town north of White Plains-- and I am going to be honest with you... there is NOTHING IN WESTCHESTER whatsoever in the price range of MI. Honey, this county is one of the wealthiest in the country--- you knew that right???!!!

Well with that said I suggest Peekskill, Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle, Tarrytown, Elmsford and White Plains.... there is a town called Greenburgh right by White Plains (but it can be expensive-- it however is the most diverse here).The schools are excellent for the most part in all the areas.

This place will be a shock to your pocket!!! Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County