Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 08:03 AM

85 posts, read 295,757 times

Advertisements

hi i live in metro detroit michigan and am thinking of moving to westchester county new york for a job

can someone tell me what cities are family friendly i have a 4 year old and what school districts or cities to avoid

i want an area that is racially diverse not all white but not more than 20% black either

and i also need advice on where to rent an apt or house 2 bedroom and what cities are more reasonable than others

most places i have checked want 1100-1500 a month and for michigan standards that is outrageous

are than any place where rent is 1000 or less in a nice area in any city in westchester county or close to westchester county

i have no knowledge of new york and could really use some help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 08:49 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,271,490 times
Westchester County is one of the wealthiest in the US, you're going to have sticker shock no matter what town you look into. Rents are high, housing prices are high, property taxes are high.

Westchester is also big. If you are working in NYC you want to be near a train line or a bus line. Driving into the city is awful. Google Metro-North and check out their train lines and schedules.

Avoid Yonkers, it is a big city with just too many problems.

Schools are very good, but again, avoid Yonkers and Mt. Vernon. The Journal News has stories about the schools in the county.

I don't know all of Westchester. I do know the schools in New Rochelle, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Harrison and Rye are very good.

Also, check out Westchester.gov for all kinds of services.

Westchester is really very nice, the towns vary in their personalities. Schools are good, services good.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:17 PM

100 posts, read 626,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie07 View Post

can someone tell me what cities are family friendly i have a 4 year old and what school districts or cities to avoid

i want an area that is racially diverse not all white but not more than 20% black either
I do not understand...how is it that you want a place "racially diverse" and not "more than 20 percent black." House-hunting is not the same as cooking; you can't take a "dab of that" and mix it in with "a tinge of this" and get this nice melting pot of utopia.

I am surprised nobody has said anything in regards to this absurd statement. I find it surprising you have got your mixture down to an exact percentage.

Aside from the absurd racial specification, I think maybe New Rochelle might be a fit for you. It is racially diverse yet it is not a ghetto (in fact it is seeing gentrification). The High school looks nice, but it is not one of the top performing schools.

Sorry to break it you, but if you want top performing schools you must look in the all-white areas. In westchester there are no such schools in "racially diverse" areas.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:04 PM

86 posts, read 387,107 times
As someone already said, all of Westchester will provide you with sticker shock. Home values are directly in proportion with school reputations. The taxes will be high everyplace, regardless of schools. Larger, more diverse cities: New Rochelle, Ossining, Mount Kisco, White Plains. I would stay away from Yonkers and Mount Vernon(two other largeer, diverse cities), because though they have beautiful areas, gang violence there has risen in the last decade.
Areas to avoid if you are looking for diversity: Armonk, Chappaqua, Lewisboro, North Salem.
Hope this helps, I have lived in many areas of Westchester, feel free to PM me!

Old 01-26-2007, 05:25 PM

137 posts, read 1,002,065 times
Under a 1000 in Westchester? Thats gonna be tough, save for parts of Yonkers you prob. would not want to live. For that price range with decent schools you are going to have to look north. Check out Yorktown and the surrounding areas.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:11 PM

86 posts, read 387,107 times
I was just re-reading your post, and realized you were going to be working in Westchester - where? Especially if it's mid or Northern Westchester, you would be MUCH better off renting in the counties just north of westchester in Putnam or Dutchess. - I'll make a few suggestions based on your criteria - Brewster, East Fishkill, Carmel, and - the one I think you may have the BEST luck with - Mahopac. Mahopac has a lot of small houses in Lake Communities where the rent will be reasonable. It has a very good school system, and is very family oriented. Mildly diverse. Here's a link for a weekly ad magazine that is the bible of rentals around here: nypennysaver.com - good luck!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:40 AM

Default detroit to westchester county

i will be working in white plains

what city is close by with affordable rent and good schools

Old 01-29-2007, 10:42 AM

Default sorry

i should have said racially diverse i now livwe in a community with 20% black 25% hispanic and 55% white

and i like the makeup of everyone really living together and not segregated and i want a mix of that as well but with good schools

Old 01-29-2007, 12:14 PM

100 posts, read 626,974 times
terrie, your best bet is to move to White Plains. The school is pretty good, and it is a city that has a very diverse population (with approx. the same demographic breakdown). I strongly believe White Plains will be the best fit for you.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:57 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,271,490 times
White Plains and New Rochelle. I don't know anything about the schools in White Plains, but my children have done very well in the New Rochelle school system.

White Plains is a small city, but easy to figure out. Lots of housing, lots of shopping.

New Rochelle is smaller, and pulling itself out of some bad years. Donald Trump and a Westchester developer are putting up a luxury apartment building in downtown New Rochelle. New Rochelle has a diverse population, and I'm good with that; it's a diverse world, and my children are very comfortable with all sorts of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County