Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 06:13 PM

467 posts, read 1,866,125 times

Advertisements

In May, we plan to relocate up to Westchester or Putnam. We currently live in the Upper East Side. My boyfriend will continue to commute to the financial district, though it may be as few as 3-4 times per week instead of 5, and I hope to find a job locally.

We were originally going to move to midcoast Maine next year, but we've decided to put that off so he can keep his job here for a bit longer. The reason why we are leaving Manhattan is because I can't stand to live without a car anymore, and we miss nature and our hobbies. I am really looking to live in a town with a less tony, more Maine-like, small town atmosphere, and hopefully one that's more spread out, where people don't live on top of each other. I grew up in a ritzy town in MA and I know that Westchester is mostly like that. I've spent a fair amount of time up there, so it's not like I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

I'm not looking for a low-income area, just somewhere where the attitude isn't so luxury-focused. It's hard to describe exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm sure you can imagine. I just want to feel like I have enough privacy and respect to pursue my own interests, which do not involve keeping up with the Jones', but rather hiking, other outdoor sports, photography, etc. It doesn't have to be perfect, but would you recommend specific towns (or specific parts of towns?) that might fit this more?

Also we have three (and plan to get one more at the end of next year after we move) dogs under 40lbs. That doesn't affect what town to look at, more whether we can find a rental that accepts them.

Judging by Metro North times, I think I'll put the cap on Purdy's and Garrison to the north, and Port Chester to the east, since we need to stay within NY state. I know an hour on Metro North each way is a lot, plus subway time, but think of it this way, the BF can learn to suck it up because I'm not making him move all the way to Maine just yet!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 06:54 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
I don't know where you got the idea that Westchester is mostly like a 'ritzy town' in Massachusetts, but it isn't. There are VERY nice places (like North Salem and Bedford) with horses and bucolic settings and there are not very nice places, like parts of Mount Vernon, Yonkers, Ossining, etc.

In order to help you, we need to know your budget, please.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:13 PM

Ossining is a bad area? I'm not familiar with it, so if you could let me know about that, there are a lot of rentals I've seen in that area.

$2,000/month, tops. I don't care too badly about the number of bedrooms (can have just one), but I am hoping to find a single family or a duplex, or if I had to, an extremely good apartment situation, that has something of a backyard. Now I've already done a bit of research on it and from what I've seen on real estate websites, this is entirely possible, but the number of houses on the market at any given time are small, and the real tough part will be finding one that will accept our dogs, no matter how well behaved they are. But luckily, I am moving in state and I have plenty of time to look.

I went to Sarah Lawrence for a stint and Bronxville and surrounding areas are exactly like where I've come from (Newton, to be specific). I have family in Mamaroneck, and from what I saw it seems less tony, but I'm sure parts are. I'm not saying that everywhere is like that, but I know that I'd be happy up near Woodstock and New Paltz if it weren't 2 hours from the city.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:48 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
You won't find Woodstock or New Paltz in Westchester (which is Ok with me). Based on your comments, I'd suggest Peekskill and Croton, both of which have nice towns, artsy scenes, and are close to fabulous hiking, preserves, etc. Other suggestions are Ossining (which has very nice parts), Katonah (perhaps too 'upscale' for you), Tarrytown (perhaps too developed), and southern Yorktown (perhaps too 'rural').

For $2,000 a month, your best bets are Peekskill and Ossining--you won't get much for that elsewhere.

I went to Sarah Lawrence too (long before you!) and Bronxville was the basis for my deep dislike of suburbs. It wasn't until much later that I explored northern Westchester and found that not all suburbs are like that.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 PM

Thanks for your response, dma! I will take a look at those suggestions, especially Yorktown because I don't think there is such a thing as too rural for me right now! Croton does look very appealing as well.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:44 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
You really might like Bedford and Katonah, that, while wealthy, is relatively quiet wealth, and the bucloic setting is great. Another place to check is Croton Falls, which is a little further up 684 and is a tiny hamlet. It's a nice, quiet area, however, and might meet your requirements, though the commute would be a bit longer to the Financial District.

Off the train, you might find something in The Salems, Cross River or Pound Ridge. Northern Westchester wealth is not always as obvious as some areas in Lower Westchester, since many who move there are attracted to the lifestyle. Houses in Bedford and Pound Ridge are not less expensive than Lower Westchester, for example, but people tolerate longer commutes for the access to a more bucolic lifestyle.

Your budget will go further closer to the Hudson River, however, and that might not be too bad of a trade-off, since you can easily drive to Katonah, Mount Kisco, Bedford, Somers, Yorktown, etc. for shopping, dining, classes, and anything else that you'd like to do since it's not that far a distance and it's a rarity to have a traffic jam on most of the routes through the area.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:41 AM

11 posts, read 74,272 times
I'd try to stay further south. Commuting all the way down to Wall Street from those towns you mentioned would be hellacious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County