Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 28,383 times

Advertisements

We are converting from oil to gas heat and have 200+ gallons in our tank, and the oil company won't buy the oil back. I was trying to sell it for $3- a gallon, but the Craigslist guy who made the deal with me two weeks ago says that now the price is $2-. I know I'm going to lose money, but I really do not want to lose that much money. Does anyone know a way besides Craigslist to find people who buy oil? Are there any companies that do it?

Also, I called a company to see how much it would cost to remove our 275 gallon basement oil tank which is in good condition, and they said it would be $1200-1300$. Another company said $650-$700-. Random people say it can be done for $350-$400-. Who is right? And, if it's the $350-$400 guy, where can I find them? I also found a number for a company on Craigslist that says they'll pick up and pay for (so obviously they won't charge for removal of) scrap metal, but the posting seemed shady to me.

I was going to barter the removal of the tank for the oil, but someone said that is a bad idea.

I was going to wait until fall, when I suspect oil prices will go up so it'll be easier to get rid of my oil. But, I'm getting a/c installed (he was supposed to start today), and the installer says that if I can get the oil tank removed ASAP, the Unico equipment can go where the oil tank is now so I don't have to eat up fresh space.

Can anyone give me any guidance?

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 06:24 AM

506 posts, read 2,279,625 times
just remember it must be done legally or when you goto sell your House you will have big problems call your town to see what they call for.......good luck

Old 09-12-2008, 11:56 PM

7 posts, read 70,082 times
Use a legit company like Envirostar. The few dollars you think you are saving could cost you big time in the future. You have to have records, submit a permit, have it inspected, etc., even for an above ground tank.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:53 PM

371 posts, read 1,566,690 times
Oil is NOT $2 a gallon-where is that guy coming from! I would take it but we just bought a house with oil, we had it filled before we closed,$975! Well my husband decided to run the hot water through a wireless water tank so we only use the oil strictly for heating up the house, not the hot water. If my tank wasn't full I would have driven over and bought your oil and your tank! Our tank is 42 years old!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County