U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 08:56 PM

101 posts, read 425,055 times

Advertisements

Larchmont without a doubt! It is very cosmopolitan, most people work in the city, about a 35 minute train ride to GC and a large percentage of immigrants- mostly European. Obviously- the closer you live to the city- the less house and pretty much no land-BUT people walk and ride bikes everywhere in Larchmont- so not much need for a large yard. Also- amazing restaurants. Good Luck!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 10:28 PM

2,402 posts, read 5,477,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Are you sure you were in the town center of Scarsdale? What is it that you didn't like about it? I think that it has a great "nice town feel". Regardless of what I or anybody else thinks about Scarsdale in general, I'm pretty sure most people would agree that it has a pretty nice little village center.
Beautiful downtown architecturally, but loaded with chi chi shops that most people probably have no need for. And other than the ice cream parlor, the village shuts down at 6PM.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 AM

12 posts, read 29,243 times
did you try rye?
great schools, local kids' programs, cute village, beach and playland, access to 95, 287, hutch/merrit, 684.
it's safe, convenient has almost too many restaurants and is family friendly -just not too "personally" friendly ----- making friends is hard to do when you don't have kids --- but that's not your case.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:36 PM

14 posts, read 20,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
When living in europe I was horrified by a certain common (though by no means universal) American expat mentality that revealed itself by traveling huge distances for peanut butter and complaining bitterly that it wasn't widely available. My advice was forget peanut butter, adjust to where they were and eat local. These guys should never have left the states.

Sounds like your situation is similar. You're not ready to move. Even in NYC a combined income of $1mio is substantial and you're going to be able to live a pretty reasonable lifestyle. You'll miss the stuff you like about the city and that will block you from discovering what's good in the 'burbs.

Stay put until the noise/crowds/social scene or something else impels you seek the change so you can embrace it.
Thanks for the advice, we are actually still in the city and undecided. Our kids are in preschools, different for each as they have very different personalities and preferences. Our nanny is just a few blocks away from their other activities, and if I walk home it takes me 30 minutes. So we still haven't moved!

That said, we keep looking and thinking about it, and although we haven't grown out of our apartment just yet, some extra room and a nice large backyard would be nice. Thanks everyone for the answers, I really appreciate it! I will keep lurking around the posts for now =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County