U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 10:46 AM

101 posts, read 432,902 times

Advertisements

Does any have any insight on nursery schools in Ardsley? Anyone know anything about Ardsley Community Nursery? Please PM- thanks!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 07:15 AM

9 posts, read 34,149 times
I went to nursery school in Ardsley many moons ago--the one on American Legion Dr., off Ashford Avenue!

If memory serves, it was a fantastic place. Shortly after I went there, they built the library right next door to it. Almost all of the kids I went to nursery school with ended up graduating from Ardsley High with me and going to great colleges. One of them was actually the valedictorian. Some kids went to Montessori schools early on and joined up with us later.

The following is just my perspective on Ardsley as a place to live, for anyone considering buying there...

Ardsley was quite academically competitive back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, and this is even more the case now. At the nursery school, we spent a lot of time playing Star Wars and making Play-Doh. Now, the kids are probably learning Chinese and algebra....

I went to Concord Road Elementary, Ardsley Middle School, and Ardsley High, graduating in the early 90s. Back then, the classes were very small--only about 100 in my senior class, but enrollment is way up now. The middle school was the best of the three schools, in my opinion, but my perspective is based on what it was long ago.

About 20% of my graduating class went to Ivy league or some top-notch equivalent (Berkeley, U of Chicago, Notre Dame). I had no idea that this was unusual until years later. Back then, seniors who were going to SUNY Binghamton, University of Michigan Ann Arbor, or Lehigh were considered only "average students," even though those are all terrific schools!

The ethnic mix was a lot of Jewish kids, Italians and Irish, and some Asians. Sadly, there weren't many black or hispanic families. Some people were working class/blue collar back then, but this is probably no longer the case.

It wasn't really a sports school, per se, but the baseball and softball teams were strong (very good little league program), and the music program was very good, too.

Bottom line: Ardsley schools are stellar, so I don't think you can go wrong with the public school system, and the community is very safe for kids. The downsides are the traffic, the insane housing prices/taxes, and the fact that it's not really a very scenic town (the highways have made it a little ugly, to be honest). Hastings and Irvington are prettier, but I'm not sure the schools are quite as good. Dobbs is a slight step below, in my opinion, but still a great place to live (especially if you live in Dobbs but live on Northfield Ave. or some other area zoned for Ardsley schools).

Of course, there are Westchester school systems that are just as good or even better--Scarsdale, Chappaqua--but I can't even imagine how expensive those must be by now.

Good luck!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:53 AM

40 posts, read 167,501 times
I don't know anything about that particular school but just wanted to let you know that I visited the Community Nursery School in Dobbs Ferry (at 343 Broadway) and I really, really loved it. They have a progressive curriculum, programs for 2s through 5s, and wonderful play areas both outdoors and indoors.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:03 AM

7 posts, read 15,835 times
Lyceum Kennedy in Ardsley is a private French school that also teaches English. It has FULL TIME nursery & preschool classes 5 days a week. Your child can go to school full days at the age of 3. If you wish, you could also do a half day program. The teachers are wonderful with the children and what a great age to introduce your child to a second language. Both my children have gone to this school full time since they were 3 years old and they speak French very well now. I was worried as we are an English speaking family. It is also a very small, friendly and multicultural school that goes up to grade 5. All the families know each other and all the children socialize with each other. It is the best school my children have attended. The school is also on it's way to get the International Baccalaureate program. Something to think about for the future of your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County