Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 07:24 AM

83 posts, read 167,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatwood View Post
It is unique in that heroin has been a teen drug staple for almost a decade there. You are correct that the sub/exurban drug scene has exploded in recent years, but it has been the norm in Somers for some time. Read "The Justin Veatch Story" or the newspaper stories about the overdose cover-ups. The local police have just been issued narcan to revive the OD's. Don't believe me...just check the web.
Justin Veatch lived in Yorktown Heights, not Somers. Just checked the web.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 08:52 PM

425 posts, read 1,212,689 times
Hmmmm. I wonder if the OP is checking up on this thread from 6 years ago to heed this new found advice??

Old 09-05-2014, 02:12 PM

14 posts, read 29,823 times
The Somers school district cover parts of Yorktown Hts, Katonah, Mahopac, Purdys, Amalwalk, Lincolndale, Shenorock, Granite Springs, etc. The kids from the other school districts all hang out with the Somers kids at the Jefferson Valley Mall and Somers Commons. The Athletic Program in Somers always brags about the kids who graduate to College sports programs...they never tell you about the kids that "graduate" to rehab facilities, prison, or worse. Go to the local CVS...the kids are stealing the cough medicine off the shelves at age 12. Most of the drug and alcohol abuse takes place in the heavily wooded back trails...check all the crime stories in LOHUD, Westchester Co. PD sites, or the NYSP site. Drug fueled amateur robberies/burgs of gas stations and small stores...check out the former Somers QB - attempted rape and drug charges...sorry, I don't want my teen daughter hanging out in the woods with these unsupervised suburban teens.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Hmmmm. I wonder if the OP is checking up on this thread from 6 years ago to heed this new found advice??
Probably not, but others check this site for information re: real estate purchases. They deserve to know what is going on in Somers. Too many are quick to say "...oh yea, good schools..." Do the homework. Check out Somers NY on the web...like I said, it has been referred to as "Teenage Wasteland" for over 25 years.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:09 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatwood View Post
sorry, I don't want my teen daughter hanging out in the woods with these unsupervised suburban teens.
You can move to NYC/Brooklyn where she can hang out with 40-something men who remarkably look like 20-somethings.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:03 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,421 times
I'm from Mahopac all though haven't lived in NY since 95. Back then it wasn't really culturally diverse, how it is today I'm not really sure.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:01 PM

Another drug fueled suicide at the Purdys train station in Somers (9/6/14)...last one was in the parking lot earlier in the year, confirmed drug OD/suicide, then set his car on fire...new mother in Mahopac just OD'd yesterday...politicians calling for the area to be called "ground zero" for the suburban heroin problem...suburban youth in Somers have been caught mixing fentanyl with their marijuana...they are literally dropping like flies up there.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:17 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times
Due to massive increase in city youth heroin abuse and overdosing in NYC (84 percent increase in the number of fatal overdoses between 2010-12 in New York City), some city cops now carry naloxone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County