U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:00 PM

4 posts, read 16,943 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide on which town in upper westchester/putnam area would be best for our young asain children. Cultrual diversity is very important to us.
Yorktown, Somers, Mahopac? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 05:49 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,772,244 times
I can only speak to Yorktown school district. Since you said "cultural diversity" (rather than racial) you should find a pretty fair amount in the schools. In my son's primary school classes (grades K-2) there has been a nice mix each year. While the class is majority caucasian, there have been at least a few Asian and Latino kids in each class. There is also a good-sized number of children from Albania, Poland, and other European countries. Yorktown is hardly a hotbed of cultural diversity, but I do think there is enough for children to develop a healthy awareness and appreciation of differences.

One of the things I love about the town is the socio-economic diversity. Unlike many Westchester towns which are largely homogenous, Yorktown has a huge range of incomes, real estate prices, and family backgrounds. Of my son's current best friends, one's parent is an artist, one's parents's are both lawyers, one's parent is a graphic designer, and another's is a police officer. That is another type of diversity which is critical for children to appreciate and be aware of.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 16,943 times
Default Thank you DMA

Thanks it does help alot. I had not thought enough about the importance of socio economic diversity as well.
I remember awhile back people were concerned about the power lines around the middle and high school in Yorktown. Is that still a problem there?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:39 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,772,244 times
I do remember that there was some concern about the power lines, but I haven't heard anything about it in a while. I don't know if something was actually done, or if it just blew over.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,596 times
Although Somers is very nice, if you are looking for cultural diversity Somers is not the place you will find it. I am from Yorktown and it is much more culturally diverse.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:40 PM

151 posts, read 566,920 times
The power lines that have been next to the middle school since forever are always a concern. Some people feel very strongly about EMF's, others do not put that much weight into it. There is more to be said about the wires running through the wall of your house, especially by the bed, than power lines where the kids will spend far fewer hours near.

If it is a concern, you can look at homes in the Lakeland or Somers Districts. This area is very diverse Here is a snapshot of just Yorktown Yorktown Heights, New York - Census Information

Some of my clients like to check out local houses of worship as this is usually the first group they join other than school teams. Let me know if you are interested in a list of houses of worship for Yorktown.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 9,078 times
I can Speak for Somers. Yorktown is very uptight. and I would not suggest a katholic school for kids if i were you. not in york town. I will admitt that the dominace in somers is white but we have lots of asians. I attend somers school . I know that somers offers chinese school on the weekends. but other than our asain population inluding my self there are only 10 black kids. sorry

Old 09-01-2014, 06:16 PM

14 posts, read 23,265 times
Cultural/Racial diversity or lack thereof is not the primary issue in Somers' schools...the real issue is the dirty little secret of drug use. Somers High has been known as "teenage wasteland" for decades - now they just call it Heroin High. Don't believe me? Just check out the heroin overdose stories on the Web. Drug dealing and usage are completely out of control. The issue is not dealt with directly for a number of reasons - place the blame on the Sgt. Schultzes that work in the schools and the "not my kid" "head in the sand" parents.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:20 PM

7,134 posts, read 10,323,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatwood View Post
Cultural/Racial diversity or lack thereof is not the primary issue in Somers' schools...the real issue is the dirty little secret of drug use. Somers High has been known as "teenage wasteland" for decades - now they just call it Heroin High. Don't believe me? Just check out the heroin overdose stories on the Web. Drug dealing and usage are completely out of control. The issue is not dealt with directly for a number of reasons - place the blame on the Sgt. Schultzes that work in the schools and the "not my kid" "head in the sand" parents.
But this can also be said of a lot of suburban/exburban schools/neighborhoods in the NYC metro area. Somers is not unique in this regard.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:39 PM

14 posts, read 23,265 times
It is unique in that heroin has been a teen drug staple for almost a decade there. You are correct that the sub/exurban drug scene has exploded in recent years, but it has been the norm in Somers for some time. Read "The Justin Veatch Story" or the newspaper stories about the overdose cover-ups. The local police have just been issued narcan to revive the OD's. Don't believe me...just check the web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County