Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 11,332 times

Advertisements

Peterborough, NH the town in (supposedly) the play "Our Town".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 01:52 PM

23 posts, read 94,548 times
Time for a reality check folks, I'm 70 have lived in EVERY part of the US as well as Japan,Germany,Scotland and Poland.
If you REALLY want to find "Bedford Falls" try a small village in Poland.
The USA simply doesn't produce the type of people to poupulate a place like that(really didn't at the time,I was there).

Old 08-19-2007, 11:52 AM

49 posts, read 217,690 times
Want to visit cooperstown. Love baseball. Just curious. I live in northeastern NJ not too far from Rockland County NY. How long would it take me to drive to Cooperstown?

Thanks

Old 08-20-2007, 12:51 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,881,007 times
Default Rochester (or Elmira) Gal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgett View Post
The mythical village of Bedofrd Falls, made famous in "It's A Wonderful Life," is indeed, supposed to be in New York State. However, it is not based on Seneca Falls as a poster has stated earlier. It is based on a Buffalo-region village as deducted by the song in the movie, "Buffalo Gals" (Can You Come Out Tonight?).
Hmmm, I do believe that Rochester and Elmira were mentioned in that movie as well. "Elmira Gal, won't you come out tonight . . . ? Nah, doesn't have the same ring.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:09 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,881,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I think we are looking for something, in one way or another. But in the movie, and in retrospect, Bedford Falls was a town with a lot of issues. The only thing that made it warm and fuzzy was the genuine caring and love most of the towns people had for one another, and for George Bailey, in particular. I think that probably still exists in a lot of small towns across America. But the town needs to be small (under 2,000) in order for everyone to really know one another.
True, Bedford Falls had its troubles. Remember the mention of how half the town had been thrown out of work when the old tool and machinery works had closed? And how would you like for everyone in town to have to bow to that Potter dude? But, l4h has it right here. It's the way the regular folks in town all looked out for each other that made this film. It would need to be under 2,000? I dunno. Downtown Bedford Falls looked like a bigger town than that. Whatever, the genuine, caring neighborliness was what this one was all about.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:28 AM

17 posts, read 191,738 times
Default What happened to the Angelica Inn B & B?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP View Post
Definitely check out Angelica. It's a beautiful place with an embracing community that takes pride in its heritage. The hills in this particular part of the state are rolling and gorgeous as opposed to the flatter regions in the northern Finger Lakes. Check out: Moderator cut: website advertising for a more intimate look at this village. Oh yeah, the real estate here is quite inexpensive and the school is great! Come for a visit the first full weekend in August for the Heritage Days celebration...you'll surely get a taste of Angelica and what it's about.

I saw their site, was temporarily closed and also saw it was for sale but taken off market. Is their new owners or another issue. Looks like a pretty inn to stay at.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 PM

69 posts, read 254,232 times
The village of Katonah has some of that feel. Stores that still sell penny candy, on an active passenger train line, ice cream shops, great hardware store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County