U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 01:31 PM

26 posts, read 112,051 times

Advertisements

I am house hunting and I realized that I like old houses better than newer ones. Many of the houses I am looking at have oil heat.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of oil heat and what it costs to convert?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 02:51 PM

701 posts, read 3,119,269 times
I'm looking at both as well. I can't give you specifics, but I do know oil heat is typically more expensive (especially given current oil prices which have inflated more than gas prices). I can also tell you that conversion is not always possible -- Depends on whether there is a municipal gas line.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:03 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,173,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspabs View Post
I am house hunting and I realized that I like old houses better than newer ones. Many of the houses I am looking at have oil heat.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of oil heat and what it costs to convert?
Oil is wicked expensive, and getting more so, tanks are a PITA to maintain and insure. These days having orl heat is a negative,

Old 10-05-2008, 08:22 PM

8 posts, read 24,036 times
Right now propane is more cost effective - however i amsure they will rotate back and forth over time. oil was move cost effective going back indifinetly until about 1.5 years ago

on the other hand - oil is dirty ( yes - even the new bburners) Propane is much cleaner, less yearly maintenance and when you install a propane tank you can use it for stove top, bbq, dryer etc if you choose...

Old 10-06-2008, 09:35 AM

17 posts, read 39,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogan123 View Post
Right now propane is more cost effective - however i amsure they will rotate back and forth over time. oil was move cost effective going back indifinetly until about 1.5 years ago

on the other hand - oil is dirty ( yes - even the new bburners) Propane is much cleaner, less yearly maintenance and when you install a propane tank you can use it for stove top, bbq, dryer etc if you choose...
New oil burners today burn very clean. And like gas they need service annually.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:53 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,173,593 times
Municipal gas line is the way to go.

Con ed is super responsive, if you ever have a problem. Plus we have a huge natural gas supply.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:14 PM

76,973 posts, read 62,383,186 times
Oil Heat Pros: None.
Gas Heat Pros: None.
Wood Stove Pros: Unlimited.

Ok, ok...you want details...

Oil: Safer, , , expensive, dirty, refills
Gas: Less expensive, no refills, stove works when electric is out, , , Dangerous, smells, constant street openings, rates always changing
Wood Stove/Insert: Almost Free Energy, little maintenance, romantic flames, light and heat when power goes out.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:14 AM

506 posts, read 1,233,394 times
Nat gas is cheaper, but you have to be hooked up to a gas line. Depending on where the house is, that may not be possible. Con Ed only pays for about 100 feet of the connection, so anything more than that can add up quickly. Plus, you need a new furnace. I have oil heat. I'd rather have nat gas for the cost ,but it's not going to make or break a house for me.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:34 AM

223 posts, read 761,912 times
yes its very very expensive to add a connection if its over 100 feet. We looked into this and it was thousands of dollars

Old 11-11-2010, 01:57 PM

76,973 posts, read 62,383,186 times
Was doing work on this house in Mamaroneck, I was hooking up the air condensors outside and I smelt gas... someone said there was a leak underground and they were coming to fix it. Amazing why we have this option out there. No wonder why its the cheapest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County