U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 09:56 AM

375 posts, read 1,493,421 times

Advertisements

I noticed there is a proportionately large Asian student population in these districts, probably due to the fact that Asians generally have a high standard of education. I was wondering, if this causes any tensions or resentment by the white families who see the large asian population as an "invasion" in their traditionally white neighborhoods. Any Asian families with any sort of experiences related to this?

Or perhaps my question is totally off-base. My apologies if this kind of question isn't politically correct.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 10:19 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,852,205 times
Any upper socio-economic setting (home/office/school, etc) has its own overt/covert tensions, jealousies....

Perhaps in more blue-collar settings such tensions are occasionally expressed in violent terms...in more affluent settings, sophisticated, often passive-aggressive, non-violent tactics are more prevalent...

Heterogenous groups compose upper socio-economic echelons of NYC region...WASPs vs Jews; Indians vs East Asians; new Asian immigrants vs US-born parents of Asian origin; centimillionaires/billionaires vs "working" affluent; new money vs old money, etc etc....NYC region is a cosmopolitan place w/many high-achievers from varying backgrounds w/different levels of wealth and IQ, even in allegedly affluent places like Scarsdale/Greenwich/UES....

Old 09-25-2008, 02:24 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,639,489 times
I do not know upon what facts the poster above is basing their opinion, since it's clear that they have no concept of Westchester and Scarsdale-Edgemont other than words on a paper.

Having lived in Westchester, I can say that there is no real tension or resentment that is noticeable on a larger scale between any group and those of predominantly Asian ethnic origin. Generally, because of the wealth in Scarsdale-Edgemont, in particular, the people do tend to be a little more worldly, having traveled, lived, and worked with people of all origins, so I'd think it would be less of a problem in these districts, since economic factors seem to be more important in Scarsdale, and Edgemont seems to be a little more relaxed and open, overall, for a good school district.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:09 PM

bmwguydc, did you attend Scarsdale or Edgemont? So do the students mingle well between the various ethnic backgrounds? What about the economic differences? Are there as much of that "keeping up with the Jones'" going on as I read about?

Old 09-25-2008, 04:19 PM

I didn't attend either, actually. I lived between Northern Westchester (Katonah-Bedford) and Manhattan as a child and actually attended private schools my whole life. I have friends who live and lived in the areas and never mentioned any difficulties between ethnic groups, which I have rarely found to be the case in Westchester as a whole when one is discussing areas that have economic parity, such that it makes little difference if an Asian family or another family purchases a house in the same price bracket.

Scarsdale is a highly competitive district, that's for sure, and it can be difficult for some children who live in the less expensive parts to keep up with the prevailing standards of the other residents of the village. It does have a connotation of "keeping up with the Joneses" to it, and it is true in many respects. Bronxville also has that reputation as well, though there's not much in Bronxville that would qualify as inexpensive (by village standards) where Scarsdale does have some areas that are made up of smaller, less expensive (for Scarsdale) houses. Scarsdale has much to recommend it, but if I were not buying into the community at the middle to upper end of the market with the intention of using the public schools, I'd evaluate a less competitive district since some children might feel excessive peer pressure to compete economically.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:12 PM

Thank you for the replies. Scarsdale probably isn't for us from an economic stand point.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:24 PM

In the same area, check out Eastchester and Tuckahoe. The economics of the area are not as competitive, and the schools are good. Also, the economic competitiveness is not going to be as prevalent in Edgemont, by far, so that's an option in the area, even if it has a Scarsdale address. Pelham also has some excellent schools and isn't as competitive. Bronxville and Scarsdale districts are the most competitive. If you want to consider the river side of the county, check out Ardsley and Irvington, which also have great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County