Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 02:31 PM

701 posts, read 3,324,369 times

Advertisements

Houses on "top of each other" is more an issue in Southern and Central Westchester. In most of Northern Westchester, it's a lesser issue. While there are some dense areas around town centers, overall, the nicer homes are spread out on an acre or more. To demonstrate the contrast, in a place like Scarsdale, you will find 4,000 square foot homes on quarter acres, and you don't see much of that in more northern areas.

When searching for homes online, you might want to try one of the realtor sites that lets you search by school district. I believe realtor.com only lets you search by town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 05:29 AM

45 posts, read 152,872 times
thank you - I didn't know such sites existed - I will look

Old 10-02-2008, 10:56 AM

28 posts, read 181,535 times
I am trying to get some more opinions on the Lakeland school district. I posted a thread, but not getting any responses. We have placed a bid on a home in Yorktown heights/ Lakeland schools. My daughter currently is in elem school in an "elite" district in lower westchester. It seems that in reading through comments, maybe buying in Lakeland schools is not such a great idea? The elementary school we are zoned for did get a 9/10 on great schools, but SAT scores for the district are in bottom quarter for the county. help!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:52 PM

11 posts, read 38,225 times
As someone who went through the Lakeland school district, the schools definitely do not have the "elite" reputation of those like Scarsdale, Chappaqua, Byram Hills or Briarcliff. Personally, I believe that's why home prices have stayed low to moderate in Cortlandt and the surrounding areas.

As in any school, a smart child who has a supportive network at home can do very well in this school district. When I was there, crime or safety was never an issue; the negative perception was with the quality of education. There were parents that felt that the high schools were not challenging enough and did sent their kids to private school, so that is another option. If I recall correctly, JFK is nearby parochial high school, as well as Hackley in Tarrytown and The Harvey School in Katonah, both private.

Hope that helps a bit.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 25,448 times
I have lived in the Lakeland school district for many years. My children have an age span of 17 years, so I have had three children go through the district and my fourth child currently attends the middle school. Over the years I have seen many positive changes in the district. When my older children attended, I was so unhappy I paid to send two of them to the Harvey School. Teachers at the elementary and middle school level were uninspiring and unimaginative, and administrators were disinterested and unresponsive. Several years ago Lakeland hired a new superintendent, which has been helpful. My daughter had a very positive elementary experience with some excellent and innovative teachers. I have been very impressed with the staff at the middle school this year. The physical plant is much improved from years past. There have been substantive changes to the curriculum, and they are individualizing instruction. Lots more clubs and after-school activities are offered. Lakeland also has an excellent private non-profit, Lakeland Children's Center, that offers after-school care for students in the elementary schools. Ten years ago -- even five years ago -- I would have recommended you look elsewhere. At this point, I would not overlook a house you like solely because it is in the Lakeland district. Go visit the schools, and see what you think for yourself, rather than relying solely on scores.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:31 PM

16 posts, read 71,479 times
Power plant is there. You will glow green after about a year. I moved and regained normal color.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:23 PM

38 posts, read 125,478 times
Clortlandt Manor and Croton on Hudson are nice areas, including Yorktown also a great area, and very family oreinted..
good schools, however, cortlandt manor does not have a Town, it is an area.
but more land and privacy than down county. better prices also

I live in Croton / Cortlandt.. great area for kids, lots of land and privacy in many areas in Cortlandt Manor and in Croton. Great areas...with good schools.. close to NY..

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-01-2009 at 07:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County