Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 05:43 PM

11 posts, read 32,864 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are a family of 5, moving to NY for husbands work from Australia. Can anyone give me advice about good school districts to look in? We will be renting not buying at this stage, and need to know good elementary, middle and high schools. Hubby will be working in Manhattan and will travel, so hopefully we can find somewhere nice thats not too far. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 06:58 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Please give a price range for a home, and how long a commute is tolerable.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:05 PM

I think between $3000 -$5500 per month in rent and maybe a 45 minute commute max. thanks

Old 07-09-2008, 08:40 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinel View Post
I think between $3000 -$5500 per month in rent and maybe a 45 minute commute max. thanks
You might also need to add where your husband will work, ie Manhattan, downtown or uptown, etc., what kind of housing you are looking for, how old the children are and whether you can afford private school. Its very expensive - think about the most expensive private school in Australia and double it. Public schools are based on your specific street address.

Do you want and need a car, some of these commute towns are far out - you will need a car for a lot of things, just like getting the groceries. A car is expensive in New York, even more expensive if you live within New York city, and you have to get a New York state drivers license too.

You may want to look at posts in the New York city section as they provide a few alternatives. From anecdotal evidence travelling from Westchester county to work in New York city will push the 45 minute parameter.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:37 AM

Private school isn't a necessity in Westchester as it is often in Manhattan. Most people select their homes based, to a large part, on the local schools if there are children involved.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:52 PM

Default moving from Sydney Australia - need advice on schools!!

We definately wont be able to afford private schools, we have three children aged 5, 7 and 12. A good public school district is very important, and so we need to know where to look. Real estate agents wont tell me where to start so I am hoping someone knows of a good school area, then we will find something to rent that is hopefully in a nice neighbourhood. Is a NY state drivers license different from any other in the U.S? Husband will be working close to Grand Central Station and we are planning on buying a car and he will travel to work by train.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:24 PM

142 posts, read 961,341 times
Why type of town would you be interested in living in? Westchester varies greatly- from quite urban to very rural. There are liberal towns to very conservative places, as there are diverse areas and some w no diversity. You will be able to find something in almost every town if your are willing to spend up to 5500 per month. Westchester Cty has some of best schools in the country. You need to have a driver license from the state in which you reside.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:31 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinel View Post
We definately wont be able to afford private schools, we have three children aged 5, 7 and 12. A good public school district is very important, and so we need to know where to look. Real estate agents wont tell me where to start so I am hoping someone knows of a good school area, then we will find something to rent that is hopefully in a nice neighbourhood. Is a NY state drivers license different from any other in the U.S? Husband will be working close to Grand Central Station and we are planning on buying a car and he will travel to work by train.
Regarding the Driver's Licence - you cannot swap out your licence in NYS - which means going through the learners test and process of getting a licence - then there is insurance etc. I have no idea about the schools in the area. Westchester can be a commute of over 45 mins depending on where you live and where work is.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 AM

You should check some of the other threads on this board regarding schools. I do know that Scarsdale and Chappaqua have very highly-regarded schools systems.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:57 AM

13 posts, read 44,979 times
Hi Justinel -- Would you kindly let me know if you turn up any other helpful information? In the next couple of months, our family will be in the exact same position as yours and I am trying to find a suitable hometo rent in New York or New Jersey. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County