U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 22,926 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to Westchester County in the next 6-12 months. However, I'm not sure where I need to be looking for an apartment. What are the best places on the net to be looking?

Craigslist?
Rent.com?
Apartments.com?

There has to be somewhere that people look on the web that is updated with their posts and better than rent.com.

Any suggestions?

Help!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 12:37 PM

105 posts, read 340,045 times
I would talk to an Agent when you are ready to move. With a 6-12 month time frame, most likely you'll see a whole brand new list of things available in that time fram once you truly are closer to your move period. I would give it 2 months before you are ready, then call an Agent in the area you're interested in. If you need help, send me an email (NYSuccess975@aol.com)and I can point you in the right direction. Most Agents wont start looking so soon anyway, and if you are interested in just getting the going prices, try Craigs list and Westchester County MLS (just google it and it will provide a link to lead you there). Good luck in your search!
Regards,
Jill
Realtor, New York

Old 02-13-2007, 04:58 PM

66 posts, read 288,238 times
Just chiming in one thing about working with agents to find an apartment. I'm also a Realtor and I found my apartment which I love by contacting another agent and leasing the place but one thing you might not know is that the buyer typically pays the commission to the agents. This means you should expect to pay the same price as your first month's rent out to the realtors so that they can split it among their brokerages. I fully support the idea of using an agent but when the time comes to rent I don't want to see you short on money!

Old 02-27-2007, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 22,926 times
Thank you for your help! I will keep both suggestions in mind. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions as time draws near, but I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:37 PM

16 posts, read 54,292 times
I'm from Westchester...what are you looking for??

Old 02-27-2007, 03:12 PM

86 posts, read 375,334 times
jro927,

try www.nypennysaver.com. It's the weekly classified that most people in Westchester use. A new issue every tuesday at 12:00noon.

Here is the deal with renting in Westchester - you have two options: "by owner" and "by realtor". Most landlords list with a realtor so they do not have to be bothered by phone calls. The problem (for you, that is) is that the rentor pays the commission, which, as someone stated, is hefty. So.....if you have the time and energy, it pays to try to find a rental by owner. Most ads will state which it is. The good apartments will get snatched up very quickly, so when you get serious, calling Pennysaver ads on Tuesday afternoon is necessary.

the other good classified is the local newspaper, which is www.nyjournalnews.com
these two sites will provide you with the MOST "by owner" rentals.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you need more information.
rscap

Old 02-28-2008, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 25,714 times
From my experience Realtor.com is the best place to look since it has all the listings from the realtor website.

I recently moved into Trump Plaza, New Rochelle since I work in NYC. I am renting for 1 year with an option to buy with the full year credit applied to the price.

Hope This Helps
Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRo927 View Post
I am looking to relocate to Westchester County in the next 6-12 months. However, I'm not sure where I need to be looking for an apartment. What are the best places on the net to be looking?

Craigslist?
Rent.com?
Apartments.com?

There has to be somewhere that people look on the web that is updated with their posts and better than rent.com.

Any suggestions?

Help!

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:20 PM

32 posts, read 121,952 times
Default Trump?

Hi Albert, how do you like Trump Plaza in New Rochelle?tks

Old 02-29-2008, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 25,714 times
[SIZE=3]I was slightly apprehensive at first. However, I am enjoying all the amenities and the proximity to the train. I would not be able to afford the same apartment in NYC that I have here with the water view.[/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingnorth2 View Post
Hi Albert, how do you like Trump Plaza in New Rochelle?tks

Old 05-27-2008, 01:50 PM

178 posts, read 644,426 times
Craig's list is pretty good in the area. If you are going to be here for a few years you might want to investigate buying a co-op.

Lots of great towns to see. It depends on what you seek.

Good Luck!

Kevin O'Shea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: