Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,740 times

Advertisements

Hi -- I am looking to move to Westchester, and have been searching the internet desperately for a rental for a few weeks now. I'm looking to move within the next 6 weeks. Today, I stumbled across an apartment listing online for a building in New Rochelle that sounds good, but I want to know more about the neighborhood from people who may know...

The apartment is on Davenport Avenue, and it seems to be a big apartment complex. Does anyone have info about that area?

And, if it's not a good area, does anyone have ideas of other places I should look into for renting? (It doesn't have to be New Rochelle, but I do need a 2 BR for $1900/month or less.)

Just some info about me that may be relevant: I am a single mother with a 4 year old child. Overall safety, access to a good elementary school (for next year and beyond), and easy access to shopping, laundry, parking, and parks are important. My sources of income total around $90,000 for the year right now. My credit is good, but not perfect. I have a car. I need to commute into Manhattan on a semi-regular basis, and would be happy to do so by train. (I would prefer an hour or less commute.)

Any suggestions you have would be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 04:55 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Some of the New Rochelle schools are pretty good and others tend to the average. At the higher grades, the schools are generally much larger than other nearby areas, but at the elementary level, it depends upon the neighborhood school. If the complex on Davenport is the one I am thinking of, there are mixed reviews about it floating around, this one is a very low address number on Davenport.

For your price point, you're not too out of range of a smaller apartment in a better school district if you don't mind a multi-family house, or something that is in a commercial district, either a second or third floor apartment above a shop, as opposed to a full service building.

Check out the Westchester-Putnam MLS for some leads. MLS

You can search by school district and see what's available. I did a quick search to see what was in range in some districts and there are some decent options available. The districts are not categorized all that well on the search bar, however, so you will have to search through the list by town to get to most of them. Look for Town of Eastchester: Bronxville, Tuckahoe, and Eastchester schools; Town of Mamaroneck: Larchmont-Mamaroneck schools; Town of Greenburgh: Ardsley, Irvington, Dobbs Ferry schools; and Town of Pelham to see if there are any that you'd like.

All of these areas are pretty quick rides to Grand Central, 30-45 minutes, depending upon train line and time of day. Some of the properties in Mamaroneck might not be as desirable with a small child, but you need to search under the town to get to the Larchmont properties that might be interesting. Some in Mamaroneck are fine as well, but the larger complexes that are at a lower price point may not be attracting similar working professionals to the community.

If you look in Rye, it will be the town and there won't be much in that price range. However, I just checked the WPMLS and they had listed a 2BR with Rye Neck schools in the town for $1950. So, they do exist, but they are few and far between, owing to the nature of housing in Rye. Just steer clear of Port Chester schools in the Town of Rye. You want Blind Brook or Rye Neck, so if it has a Port Chester address, I'd not recommend it from a schools perspective.

Westchester is great for children, so I am sure you will be very happy when you find a place, as there's so much to do.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,740 times
Thank you so much for the information! This apartment building is a very low address number on Davenport, so it may be the one you've heard mixed things about.

I am definitely not opposed to living in somewhere other than a full-service building. I'll give those searches a try. Thanks for your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County