U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 15,029 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice... I am a 24 year old female, looking to reverse-commute from grand central to greystone...I do know the area a little, I have worked in the Westchester Executive Park on Corporate Blvd for a few years but I am moving into the city and would like to take the train for a few years, idealy I would like to leave a car at the greystone station overnight, every night. First question, is leaving a car at the station a possibility and if yes, is it safe? Second question, would I be safe waiting for my train alone (usually anywhere between 6pm and 9pm)? Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 08:08 PM

96 posts, read 393,137 times
It's fine, its not far from the Hospital. I wouldn't be overly concerned with that area during those hours.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:40 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,296,654 times
You need to get the proper permit from the Yonkers Parking Authority regarding leaving the car overnight at Greystone. You will need to apply for a 24-hour permit, since Yonkers has a day permit and a 24-hour permit class, but overnight, by default, is a 24-hour permit, regardless as to whether or not you leave the parking area during the day with the vehicle.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:15 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,248,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc417 View Post
Looking for advice... I am a 24 year old female, looking to reverse-commute from grand central to greystone...I do know the area a little, I have worked in the Westchester Executive Park on Corporate Blvd for a few years but I am moving into the city and would like to take the train for a few years, idealy I would like to leave a car at the greystone station overnight, every night. First question, is leaving a car at the station a possibility and if yes, is it safe? Second question, would I be safe waiting for my train alone (usually anywhere between 6pm and 9pm)? Thank you!
I lived in Hastings and for years would jog down the aqueduct toward Greystone and beyond. A few times, when I ran back down Warburton avenue I distinctly recall seeing broken car window glass on the street.

I wouldn't worry about the train station going home. Taking the train in during those hours is pretty common -- nowadays the evening trains into the city are as packed as subway rush hour trains.

FWIW.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 28,328 times
You will be fine, but I would not park your car along one of the sections of Warburton Ave without houses around. I have had my car broken into and have seen at least a dozen cars with smashed windows over the 4 years I lived there.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:16 PM

21 posts, read 66,324 times
canth, thanks for picking up this old thread (did you realize you were replying to last year's post?).

Like the op, but I'd like to know how safe/unsafe is it around the train station toward midnight - that is, very late, after 11pm, walking alone?

Another question I have: you have to climb a long flier of stairs from the train station up to the warburton ave, which would be problem if you are carrying luggages. Is there a slope or elevator there? (I'm not talking about the elevator to get to the train platform, but between the station and the streets up above)

Old 08-04-2009, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 28,328 times
I've walked home many times after midnight and I've always felt safe. I can't say the same for the station stop directly to the south, Glenwood. There is an elevator that was put in a few years ago.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,076,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canth View Post
I've walked home many times after midnight and I've always felt safe. I can't say the same for the station stop directly to the south, Glenwood. There is an elevator that was put in a few years ago.
well the neighborhoods are pretty much two different worlds in between both of those stations. The area immediately around the Greystone station is very safe, you'll be just fine.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 PM

3,756 posts, read 8,974,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc417 View Post

Ask the MTA for the UCR's Uniformed Crime Reports. I would be alert even if it were in the day time. You are not too far from Glenwood.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 8,551 times
I Need to know how to apply for a parking permit. I work in Brooklyn Ny. I need to know how to get a parking permit @ Greystone Station . Yearly Permit. Please Let Me Know how to apply. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>