Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 03:38 PM

23 posts, read 66,049 times

Advertisements

Looking to do a kitchen remodel in our co-op apt in Bronxville. Are there local companies/showrooms that do everything - visit the apt. to help with design, have all materials available for purchase, and install everything?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 03:54 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Try this site: Welcome to The Franklin Report

What you're looking for is a kitchen designer who will do all the subcontracting. There are lots of them, but check references!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:48 PM

151 posts, read 605,040 times
FYI: I am a Real Estate Broker, but I also run a construction company. I do not work in your area, so my advice is strictly advice. Not a job interview.

In a short answer...NO. The main reason is your trick question: Visit, Design, Stock the items and Install. No One will do that especially with a kitchen because it simply would not pay to stock every possible variation of kitchen cabinet and all the accessories that can possible go with it.

Of course Home Depot and Lowes say they do it all, but truth be told, they will design it, sell it and then sub out the install to a "licensed" Home Depot installer. Again, not the best move.

Here is whats involved in a basic kitchen remodel:

Design
Layout (very different from design as it attempts to put real world items into a drawing)
Gut: Involves electricians, Plumbers and Laborers. Might all be employed by the same company, usually not)
Re wire kitchen
Re plumb kitchen
Insure sub floor can support weight of new cabinets, tile and counter top
Sheetrock
Sub Floor
Paint
Install flooring
Install cabinets
Install counter top
Install back splash (usually done by same person doing floor, not counter top)
Install finish trim (done by finish carpenter, might be same as cabinet installer, not usually)
Install appliances
Clean Up

There are typically 4 trades in a kitchen remodel. Electricians, Plumbers, Cabinet Installer, Tile Installer.

If you add in the designer and layout thats two more. You are best served by pros in each of their fields especially where you are located. A G.C. can not be doing electrical and plumbing unless they are fully licensed to do so.

A normal kitchen remodel will take about a month start to finish. I have seen it done quicker, but they are cutting huge corners.

I would suggest you go to a kitchen place, get a design and layout you like, then go to a tile place and pick out that. Then start interviewing for a GC who will run the project for you and hire various subs to keep it rolling smooth.

Most importantly, Call and VISIT references given. Go see the quality and type of work the GC is capable of overseeing and turning out.

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-09-2008 at 05:41 AM..

Old 11-09-2008, 05:43 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
As I said, look in the Franklin Report. That's how I found my kitchen designer, who handled EVERYTHING. You need someone who has experience designing KITCHENS - it takes special skills.

Look through the kitchen designers and they'll state exactly what they do. Expect to pay for consultations, but the fee for consultations (which often include a design) is deducted from the overall cost.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,707 times
Default remodel in Weschester

Dear Interested project:
The place that you want to go to is the Expo Design Center, 9 Joyce Road, New Rochelle, New York 10583. Ask for Michael Jackson and tell him that Jacki O. sent you. He is the best in the company and is the Senior Designer. I know, I worked with him, I do the same thing. The number is: 1-914-637-5600, his ext. is 478. Good luck and breathe and be patient. Project designers work very hard and long hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County