Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 PM

30 posts, read 125,287 times

Advertisements

Hi. All this talk of who goes to school where has me wondering if I can get my hands on some maps of the Westchester school districts. I am particularly wondering about Edgemont, but I think it might be a good idea to take a look at a bunch of them. I've looked on some of the school district websites, but I can't seem to find any maps that outline exactly where the school districts fall. Does anyone know where I can find this information online?

My second question is how people who are buying a house in a particular school district know the district won't be redrawn and they'll wind up going to school somewhere else? I guess it is not a problem if you move to a place where the towns and the school districts are the same, but the boundaries of some of these districts are so . . . funky.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 08:15 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
This will give you the boundaries of the school districts. You have to do one district at a time. Just change the "Geographic Boundary" to school district and then select a town. Then you can zoom in to find a specific street and look at the aerial view. It isn't perfect, but it is a cool tool.

Mapping Westchester County

Old 11-10-2008, 08:29 AM

30 posts, read 125,287 times
thank you!!

Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,002 times
Default maps

Houlihan lawrence has a great website for this under their "maps" function.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:05 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennly View Post
My second question is how people who are buying a house in a particular school district know the district won't be redrawn and they'll wind up going to school somewhere else? I guess it is not a problem if you move to a place where the towns and the school districts are the same, but the boundaries of some of these districts are so . . . funky.

First, it would require an act of the State legislature to change the borders of a school district, as well as a vote in the original school district and the school district to which part of the school district will be transferred, and the probability of that occurring are so close to zero as to be of no concern.

Second, it's villages and hamlets within towns, not towns. //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html should help you understand the local geography.

With the exception of Harrison, Mount Kisco and Scarsdale, which are coterminous town-villages: a coterminous town-village is where the town and the village have the same name and have the same exact border and the town supervisor/town board and the village mayor/board of trustees are the same. Three are 5 coterminous town-villages in New York State and the other two are Green Island in Albany County and East Rochester in Monroe County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County