Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:06 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times

Advertisements

Yorktown is starting a town-wide heating oil cooperative plan, in which participating companies agree to "sell oil for no more than 40 cents over the wholesale price as published on Bloomberg." Prices are also guaranteed to be lower than the company's daily retail price. The plan is modeled on one currently running in Cortlandt, and I was wondering if anyone had experience with Cortlandt's oil plan or with ones in other towns. Also, one of the participating companies is doing a blend with 20% biodiesal fuels, which are of course more environmentally sound and sustainable. They plan on making the blend 40% soon, which would greatly reduce the cost further (and give you state energy star rebates). Anyone have experience with biodiesal blends in the boiler? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,178 times
I too am wondering if we should go with the coop and which oil companies will be participating. When I questioned my current supplier, they advised no need to join the town's coop because the price of oil will be dropping and they will be competitive... Any thoughts?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldckr View Post
I too am wondering if we should go with the coop and which oil companies will be participating. When I questioned my current supplier, they advised no need to join the town's coop because the price of oil will be dropping and they will be competitive... Any thoughts?
Well, currently we're paying $4.40/gallon. Both companies that are in the Yorktown coop are quoting $2.30/gallon. Plus you get .20 back per gallon from the state for using biofuels, making it $2.10/gallon. That's a pretty big savings. Theoretically, the companies in the coop are going to stay within 40 cents of the daily wholesale price, so if the price drops more their price will drop with it.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:38 AM

151 posts, read 604,931 times
Here is a good link on BioHeat. Not BioDiesel, Biodiesel must be 100% not blended.

Biodiesel.org - Home Heating Oil

Old 07-27-2010, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 12,846 times
Any update on the experience with Yorktown's heating oil coop plan? Price, customer service, service plans, etc.

My current contract with a non-participating company is expiring, and I'm wondering if I should switch.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Old 07-27-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlam4 View Post
Any update on the experience with Yorktown's heating oil coop plan? Price, customer service, service plans, etc.

My current contract with a non-participating company is expiring, and I'm wondering if I should switch.

Thanks in advance for sharing!
The company we were using ended up matching the lower prices of the town coop. We stayed with them because we were happy with the service plan and as I recall the companies in the town plan did not have service plans, or their plans didn't seem as good. We revisit it each year and basically use the town coop as a way of getting our provider to lower their prices. I do know neighbors who use the town plan and, last I heard, were happy.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:57 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
All this blended talk making me spin...Get a wood stove insert and smile the whole winter. You can find free wood or have cords delivered at fraction of cost these companies charge you to heat your home.

After all, normal thunderstorms are bringing winds of 80mph with them lately...lots of free wood around.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
The company we were using ended up matching the lower prices of the town coop. We stayed with them because we were happy with the service plan and as I recall the companies in the town plan did not have service plans, or their plans didn't seem as good. We revisit it each year and basically use the town coop as a way of getting our provider to lower their prices. I do know neighbors who use the town plan and, last I heard, were happy.
Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, our current company isn't going to match so we will still have to make a choice.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
All this blended talk making me spin...Get a wood stove insert and smile the whole winter. You can find free wood or have cords delivered at fraction of cost these companies charge you to heat your home.

After all, normal thunderstorms are bringing winds of 80mph with them lately...lots of free wood around.
Sounds a nice idea!

Old 12-14-2010, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,725 times
so curious to know the outcome - do you end up going with the co-op? I'm in a similar situation now. About to consider a switch for both oil and service and stumbled upon this co-op oppty which I was not aware of before. Was wondering how it's working out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County