Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 03:35 PM

744 posts, read 1,403,358 times

Advertisements

Does anyone who knows more about Westchester than me (and I know no more than where it is on a map ) have any pointers advice on renting. My criteria are:

* Good elementary school essential - but just good, don't need to be "best in the world".
* Would prefer a walkable area (what I consider walkable is probably more than most, so chances are if you do I will) - this isn't essential though.
* 2 bedroom rental, anything goes - multi-family home, apartment complex, standalone house, townhouse, whatever - for ~$1500/month. OK, a cardboard box under a bridge does not go.
* commutable to Manhattan via trains and buses.

Someone suggested Pleasantville to me, which from a quick google seems reasonable. And I don't see anything bad about it in posts here...

So any other areas worth looking into? And is there something other than craigslist to find rentals in two-family homes and so on?

Note: In the last few years I've lived in midtown Manhattan, rural Connecticut, and Northern NJ - I don't think there's any "style" of area that won't suit me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 04:31 PM

701 posts, read 3,316,208 times
Pleasantville would be a good choice. Mamaroneck is another possible option. Even White Plains could work for you. But that is a fairly low budget for a 2 bedroom apartment in any of those areas. You might find something, but it won't be too nice.
Avoid Hartsdale, Yonkers.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:58 PM

744 posts, read 1,403,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Pleasantville would be a good choice. Mamaroneck is another possible option. Even White Plains could work for you. But that is a fairly low budget for a 2 bedroom apartment in any of those areas. You might find something, but it won't be too nice.
I understand the not nice part. I don't mind a crummy flat as long as it's in a safe area.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:15 PM

4 posts, read 8,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
what is wrong with yonkers? i am looking to move close to the new rochelle area next month & have no idea what areas around there are nice, so would appreciate the input. is yonkers just a bad area??

Old 11-17-2008, 09:54 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,291,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead_0329 View Post
what is wrong with yonkers? i am looking to move close to the new rochelle area next month & have no idea what areas around there are nice, so would appreciate the input. is yonkers just a bad area??
Parts of Yonkers are decent, the areas just outside Bronxville, for example, are decent. However, for the OP with schools to consider, Yonkers is not advised, nor is Mount Vernon, because of the school systems in place. New Rochelle is not as bad, but one has to be careful of the school zoning there, and even then when in the upper grades, there are more issues than in other Westchester districts.

To the OP, you can sometimes find smaller apartments in the village centers, which might be above a commecial lease in a two or three story building around $1500-$1600. While not the most ideal, as a two+-family or apartment complex likely will have a yard, it might not be a bad compromise with a park nearby, especially if you are in a good school district. Some areas to check for this include: Croton-on-Hudson, Hastings-on-Hudson, and Dobbs Ferry. Pleasantville is also worth considering, and has multi-family as well as residential on commercial apartments, but you need to be sure that you are in the Pleasantville Union Free School District, not Mount Pleasant-Cottage Union Free District.

You're also at the extreme low end of Larchmont for a 2BR in that rental range, but you might come across something that would work for you. And, there are a fair number of duplexes and two-family houses in Harrison. There should be soemthing in your preferred range here as well. In Pelham, you'd be at the $1600-$1700 range for a 2BR for starters, but you get the benefit of a fast commute, good schools, and proximity to Long Island Sound.

The nice thing about these areas is that they have above-average to excellent public school systems, so you're not sacrificing quality education for affordable rent, especially since you're flexible on the type of apartment. It may take a search, however, as there may not be many apartments listed in the towns mentioned from which you can choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County